Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between getting a tune written for 3.73 gears and adjusting the axle ratio on the tuner. Wouldn't they both do the same thing? I've heard that its better to have the tune written for the gears, rather than adjusting them on the tuner. Any info?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
What is the difference between getting a tune written for 3.73 gears and adjusting the axle ratio on the tuner. Wouldn't they both do the same thing? I've heard that its better to have the tune written for the gears, rather than adjusting them on the tuner. Any info?
My Tune was done "Custom", and when I changed my GEARS, my Tune was adjusted for the Gears. For your question, you should ask SCT or someone that knows a lot about the Tuner.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Mikeyt03 said:
Same thing. Some tuners lock the options though so that you can't adjust it.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
local mustang only shop I had change my gears from 3.33 to 3.73 said it really didn't matter. They are an authorized SCT dealer. I had asked about if I could use the menu to change it, or if I should have new tunes written.

I wouldn't see any reason for them to lie to me, and they have always been a very honest bunch. Ya never know though.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Your speedometer will be off if you don't change it with the tune I think. Did it in my 2007 when I had that and the faster I went the more off the reading was. You can select your gear ratio with the handheld anyway, so might as well. Shouldn't effect the actual tune of the car though. Shop that put them in said speedo would be off unless I changed it electronically. Might have been just feeding me bs but that's what they said.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Your speedometer will be off if you don't change it with the tune I think. Did it in my 2007 when I had that and the faster I went the more off the reading was. You can select your gear ratio with the handheld anyway, so might as well. Shouldn't effect the actual tune of the car though. Shop that put them in said speedo would be off unless I changed it electronically. Might have been just feeding me bs but that's what they said.
they were not feeding you BS, your tach will be off if you don't have the car retuned for the new gearing.

I think what he was getting at, is that writing the tune to include that gearing, vs having the tuner kind of "patch" it in, if there would be a difference.

·
Registered
268 Posts
nosympathy said:
they were not feeding you BS, your tach will be off if you don't have the car retuned for the new gearing.

I think what he was getting at, is that writing the tune to include that gearing, vs having the tuner kind of "patch" it in, if there would be a difference.
Gotcha. I didn't wanna say bc I wasn't sure but thought so.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts

Your tach will always be correct ... nothing in the tune should change this.

There is no effective difference between having the gear ratio set in the tune vs changing the option on the handheld before loading the tune. The only difference is that when it's set as part of the tune, it changes the default setting for that specific option, nothing more.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Your tach will always be correct ... nothing in the tune should change this.

There is no effective difference between having the gear ratio set in the tune vs changing the option on the handheld before loading the tune. The only difference is that when it's set as part of the tune, it changes the default setting for that specific option, nothing more.
yeah that was dumb on my part, dk why I said that. I may have said tach, but I ment speedometer. What was I drinking...lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts