Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am new to the whole tuning scene and just curious how easy it is to change tunes. For example can I change tunes while driving? If not is it something that I can pull over and change quickly if my intent of a drive changes or does it takes a long time.

Please note that I am a new owner of a 2013 Mustang GT stock.

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Also is this a good first mod or should I do something else first?

·
Premium Member
19,578 Posts
The engine must be off in order to load a new tune. Takes 60-90 seconds to load the new tune.

·
Premium Member
19,578 Posts
Entotalenigma said:
Do you generally feel the difference right away or is it something that takes time to adjust?
It's an immediate difference in performance.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,578 Posts
Grabber Blue5.0 said:
Not on these cars. Takes a lot longer than that.
Really? I have a x3 and that's all it takes

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Really? I have a x3 and that's all it takes
Do you have a 2011+ which is the section you posted in?

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

not going from one tune to another, really is about 90-120 seconds I'd say, but still pretty fast. It is going from the stock tune on the car to a custom tune that takes for effing ever.
Maybe a little faster but still not that fast. But we're talking about loading the tune for the first time here in this thread.

·
Premium Member
19,578 Posts
Grabber Blue5.0 said:
Do you have a 2011+ which is the section you posted in?

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

Correct but we're talking about loading the tune for the first time here in this thread.
Might want to check your reading comprehension level before getting smart on someone...

Op specifically asked how long it takes to change tunes...not load the initial tune

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Might want to check your reading comprehension level before getting smart on someone...

Op specifically asked how long it takes to change tunes...not load the initial tune
So then the answer is no you don't own a 2011 up.

I've swapped tunes many times on my X3 and it never goes that fast.

·
Premium Member
19,578 Posts
Grabber Blue5.0 said:

Cool starry bra.

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,246 Posts

Do you guys revert to the stock tune before you load a new tune?

I just skimmed through this thread but I was under the impression that to change a tune you have to reload your stock tune and then load the custom tune.

I've heard of people loading one custom tune over another and having issues afterwards.

Typical time it takes me to revert to my stock tune and then load a new tune from start to finish is about 18 minutes.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts

I just skimmed through this thread but I was under the impression that to change a tune you have to reload your stock tune and then load the custom tune.

I've heard of people loading one custom tune over another and having issues afterwards.

Typical time it takes me to revert to my stock tune and then load a new tune from start to finish is about 18 minutes.
My Stone Age chip takes two seconds! :D

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

Do you have to? No. But I always do. SCT seems to have too many issues for my liking so I go back to stock and then load the new tune. I also have the stock tune saved on my lap top but I still don't trust SCT.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a 2007 GT and have no issues changing from one tune to another. Ive gone from street to race to street ro performance etc and no issues with tune or not first going back to stock Ford tune. Difference is felt immediately after change. Takes about 3-4 minutes from initially plugging sct tuner in. Not bad for what its doing, and yes I would say you could do it if you were out driving and decided you wanted to switch. With my tunes being 87 street 91 performance and 93 race, I wouldnt be switching unless I already had a tank of the particular octane in I was switching over to. I usually fill up from nearly empty with the new octane, then put about 10-15 miles on before I will change over. Read somewhere that Bama or was it SCT??? suggests running a tank full of new octane before changing to ensure the higher octane is in the system.

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,246 Posts
Do you have to? No. But I always do. SCT seems to have too many issues for my liking so I go back to stock and then load the new tune. I also have the stock tune saved on my lap top but I still don't trust SCT.
My car is my DD so I don't wanna take any chances. 18 minutes is worth it to me.

·
Registered
275 Posts

i was seriously looking into getting the sct tuner with the bama tunes for life and now thanks for talking me out of it. 18 minutes is absolutley unacceptable to me. when i had my honda the tuning device was hondata flashpro. it only took 30 seconds to load the tune and 90 sec inbetween tunes. that 18 min is absolutely crazy. if my desktop with a million programs running can load up faster than a tune something is wrong. i am a very impatient person. (type A personality) and that just wont work for me. thanks for saving me $380. now i have more money to spend on her for valentines day.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts