Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some of you fellows opinion on where you would buy your tune.I have a JLT CF CAI coming very soon from another member of ours.I am looking at ordering a tune this week.I was or am considering buying SCT from American Muscle (Bama Tune).I have a pretty reputable motorsports shop not to far from me that offers SCT as well.Fastlane motorsports.They do not do the free lifetime updates but they do sell it for the same price.I am still leaning toward american muscle just on the fact they have probably sold and done more work on the tune than most for this type tune.I plan on doing Boss mani. in the near future too so I know I would have that update available.I mention this to fastlane and he did say he would probably give me a update when I do that.So which is it or what would you guys do for tune?? Where to buy?Any other great places?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'd personally say evolution performance(evoperform.com). I've gotten two tunes from them and they're spot on. I even brought my car in to one of the most reputable tuners in Chicagoland area to see if he could custom tune it better. He spent two hours on the dyno with it and said he wouldn't change a thing.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Go get a dyno tune.. Canned tunes suck. Randy Haywood has a dyno shop too I hear. He started True Blue, then Melvin over at fastlane got involved he's(Randy) is really good.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was gonna go with a canned tune until I get deeper in mods.Dyno tune when I go further.Plus I like the ability to go back to stock while still under warranty.Also working with limited budget

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not worried about that though.

·
Loc: Austin,TX
5,980 Posts
I'd say you are on the right path by not doing a dyno tune if you are gonna have limited mods. Go for a Bama tune so you can get the free updated tunes then dyno tune when you are ready.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd say you are on the right path by not doing a dyno tune if you are gonna have limited mods. Go for a Bama tune so you can get the free updated tunes then dyno tune when you are ready.
Kinda what I am feeling exactly for right now.Just wondering if the Bama tune is the way to go for the money and a canned tune.I'm I overlooking another good one I guess is my case before I order.

·
Banned
3,606 Posts
For bolt ons a canned tune is fine. Unless you want the max aggressive tune you can get then a dyno tune is the best.

Now EVO/BBR/Livernois/JPC canned tunes are on the top notch list. More power a little more aggressive then BAMA tunes. But BAMA does have the tunes for life which is good as stated above for bolt ones.

Only time this will become an issue is when you go to a Boss intake and if they will not take the RPM's out to 7800.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Evolution has stated to me(even though it's not advertised on their site) that they'll retune any basic bolt on update for free. Doesn't include boss mani though.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats a good question and I will ask that before I but it.(7800 w/ Boss)

·
Registered
702 Posts
back n a stang said:
Kinda what I am feeling exactly for right now.Just wondering if the Bama tune is the way to go for the money and a canned tune.I'm I overlooking another good one I guess is my case before I order.
Call up stage 3 motor sports they deal with Gus at steeda for there tunes and I got free tunes with them also. Tell them what deal AM is giving u and ask them if they can beat it. I got a great deal with them.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Call up stage 3 motor sports they deal with Gus at steeda for there tunes and I got free tunes with them also. Tell them what deal AM is giving u and ask them if they can beat it. I got a great deal with them.
They carry you out to 7800 for the Boss you just put on?Was fixing to PM you on the specifics of your tune(s) and what prices

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Just curious.. Why even do the tune if you plan to do more? Then you have the down time of sending it in etc maybe it's just me, I'd use that tune money for more mods.. Then do a real tune, a dyno tune. To me every car will like diff settings, if your car likes someone's else's tune your lucky. I don't know seems like a waste of time and money. If you go canned I wish you good luck..

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just curious.. Why even do the tune if you plan to do more? Then you have the down time of sending it in etc maybe it's just me, I'd use that tune money for more mods.. Then do a real tune, a dyno tune. To me every car will like diff settings, if your car likes someone's else's tune your lucky. I don't know seems like a waste of time and money. If you go canned I wish you good luck..
B/C it will be quite a while before I do anything more than CAI and tune.Only other mod I have is exhaust with X-pipe.I may do Boss next year but after that it would likely be more toward the end of 60,000 miles before I do much.As for warranty I am covered on that.Long story but it has to do with what I do for a living.These mods I would be safe on.

·
Banned
3,606 Posts
As long as it works for you! Trust me I understand about budget and all that!!
With the Cold air for the 5.0's you have to tune. If not the car will not run. The Cold Air's are that much bigger and suck that much more air. you looking at 35-40whp from tune and cold air.

·
Registered
537 Posts
What about the John Lund tunes from Lethal Performance? I have 2 friends that have the Aggressive "Cammed" tune and they swear by it and it sounds AWESOME

·
Registered
702 Posts
M3to5.0 said:
What about the John Lund tunes from Lethal Performance? I have 2 friends that have the Aggressive "Cammed" tune and they swear by it and it sounds AWESOME
I would be a lil cautious about the Lund tunes a guy on our forum blew two pistons and he said he was running a Lund agressive tune and warranty didn't cover s***! Either on this forum or mustang the source. search for" spun a bearing" that's the thread name.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I would be a lil cautious about the Lund tunes a guy on our forum blew two pistons and he said he was running a Lund agressive tune and warranty didn't cover s***! Either on this forum or mustang the source. search for" spun a bearing" that's the thread name.
That is enough to keep me away!!!

Dont need a tune with the Roush do I???

1 - 20 of 38 Posts