Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used a can of Seafoam on my 01 v6 and nothing happened. No smoke, just a little water from my tailpipe. Also it murdered my gas mileage. Driving 60mph i could watch the needle move like I was driving 115mph. Any ideas why it didn't work and why my mileage dropped?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Prob put it in the gas... I still don't like sea foam on the basis that it can knock big deposits into bad places.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Azure said:
Yeah, supposedly it will "burn up" those deposits. All of them...?
Yeah... I've seen 2 engines clog up an oil pathway and burn a cylinder. Also saw a s2000 come to an abrupt end 10 seconds into the process.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did it the way the company says to do it. They have a video on YouTube. I put 1/3 in oil, 1/3 in gas, and 1/3 into the brake booster/intake line. I let it run for 5 minutes then let it set for 5-10. Then restarted it. When I restarted it fluid slowly dripped from the exhuast. the more i revved it, the more fluid came out. I drove it around town but still no smoke. My gas mileage has dropped by 1/2. I plan to change the oil this weekend to see how it looks.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
well 2 things..

1. the way you ran it might be how the company tells you too but it is in no way the best way to run it (talking about the run for 5 mins then let it sit for 10)

2. i have always and will always run this stuff because i've only had good experiences with it

also keep in mind not every car will smoke after seafoam. this would happen alot when i use to work in a shop that did injection cleaning services...we had a drip machine that would pour cleaner into the vac line for 20 minutes on average to empty a bottle. 75% of the cars smoked

last question is how much gas did you have when you put it in there? when did you last purchase gas? maybe you picked up crap gas in the process...that sounds more likely for the mileage issue then the seafoam

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yeah I have ran it in all my cars several times and ran some thru my R6 and all benefited. And if you're worried about it breaking off "build up" and it getting into your engine, then you have bigger problems. Like, how'd this crap get past my air filter? If you have a good air filter then the only build up should be oil, which burns like it always has in your stang, unless you have bypassed your PCV's. I just stuck the brake booster hose in the bottle and just lett the motor "sip" it. No probs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had 1/2 a tank of gas from Wal-Mart(that's all I ever use) I bought that day.My gas mileage still sucked today. I put fresh gas in and goin 40mph you can watch the needle drop quickly. I've never had this problem in any vehicle. My 84 silverado with a 350 got better mileage than I am right now. Gonna take it to a shop and see what they say. I can't afford bad mileage.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The cheap Walmart gas could of takin its toll on your sending unit ;) if you can literally watch your needle drop then there is something else wrong.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no leaks in my fuel system. combed everly inch of it. and i know wal-marts gas sucks but i can barely afford it so why try to buy more expensive gas? Ive had 1 bad tank of gas from them and i was reimbursed for the repairs. this tank was good. it only started acting up after i used seafoam.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well they said that the 'bad gas' is rare. But if they are willing to pay for the repairs then it's cool. I just make sure I keep my receipts just in case. I love my car but the problem isn't gas, its the seafoam. I'm calling the company when they open to see if the can help. I gotta take it to a shop and gonna see if they'll cover any work done. The motor runs rough and tries to stall in idle. The motor is choking and I Don't have time to get under the hood to see where the problem is. Got a new fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, wires, ignition coil, and was running smooth before I used seafoam.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Check your plugs again. If you used the deadpan and didn't let it sip slowly then you may have fouled out your plugs. If they have a reddish burn coloring around the electrode replace them

·
Registered
390 Posts
the cost difference between bad gas and premium even isn't that much per tank.
that's like drinking big gulps and double cheeseburgers every day and wondering why you are fat....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts