Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for anyone that has seen my other posts, I finally got the 68 running smooth after cleaning out the carburetor with some carb cleaner. It also needed a new starter because I found out the old one was bad after I had autozone test it. Replaced it, fired the car up and it was sweet music. Turned it off to run an errand and when I came back, went to start it up again and nothing. Tried turning the crank with a ratchet and it doesn't budge. How did my motor just seize up out of no where when it was just running smooth? What are my options at this point?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
So for anyone that has seen my other posts, I finally got the 68 running smooth after cleaning out the carburetor with some carb cleaner. It also needed a new starter because I found out the old one was bad after I had autozone test it. Replaced it, fired the car up and it was sweet music. Turned it off to run an errand and when I came back, went to start it up again and nothing. Tried turning the crank with a ratchet and it doesn't budge. How did my motor just seize up out of no where when it was just running smooth? What are my options at this point?
Pull the plugs and see if you can rotate it with less resistance. Also could be the starter is causing it, it's probably not seized. Pull the starter and see if it moves. Whatever messed up the first starter may not be fixed yet. Did you change the starter relay?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Yeah pull starter and plugs and try turning it. You can also take your valve covers off and see if your valves are opening

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill remove the starter and take a look at it in a little but and then reinstall it.

I was looking at a couple other forums online and I see quite a bit of people saying to spray some PB blaster in the spark plug sockets. Should I do that?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pull the plugs and see if you can rotate it with less resistance. Also could be the starter is causing it, it's probably not seized. Pull the starter and see if it moves. Whatever messed up the first starter may not be fixed yet. Did you change the starter relay?
Where is the relay located?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Ill remove the starter and take a look at it in a little but and then reinstall it.

I was looking at a couple other forums online and I see quite a bit of people saying to spray some PB blaster in the spark plug sockets. Should I do that?
After removing it, try to move the engine unless you see the problem right away.
PB blaster is if the engine is seized up. I really doubt that is the problem.

The relay is located on the firewall next to the battery. The starter cable is hooked up to it as well as the alternator. It could be fried and locking up the starter. You might just unhook the starter cable from it and then try to move the engine.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never mind haha. Didn't realize relay was another name for the solenoid. But after that brief blonde moment, yes I've changed that out already

What I've done so far:
Changed solenoid
Changed ignition switch
Replaced painless wiring harness fuse(50amp)
New negative battery cable
Sprayed carb cleaner in carburetor(holley 4bbl)
Replaced starter

RAN GREAT

Turned engine off, left for about an hour, tried to start and nothing. Tried turning the crank and nothing again so then....

Took off all spark plugs and cleaned them up, and regapped all 8 to 0.040
Made sure all plugs had spark
Did a manual compression check

And Then I had enough for the day :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
So the manual compression check, you were able to move the engine?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the manual compression check, you were able to move the engine?
Sorry I didn't clear it up. I did a manual compression check prior to the engine being stuck when I was trying to diagnose why my car was stalling. It cleared at that point.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
What's that and where am I putting that bad boy

All the oil in the world is not gonna free it up, you have a mechanical issue, not a rust issue.
True, to be clear, all I meant was use marvels instead of PB Blaster etc.

Before doing anything drastic, start with the basics. Make sure the battery is not dead and there are no lose connections. Then make sure the starter is getting power, if it is but isn't doing anything, take it to the parts store and have it tested. Once you establish the starter is getting power and should be working you can determine if you indeed have a mechanical failure.

All these tests can done using a Haynes or Chiltons shop manual and a volt meter, the manual can walk you through it. If you're not comfortable doing these tests have a REPUTABLE shop take a look at it for you.

Troubleshooting 101, start at the beginning with the simplest stuff first and work your way through and you'll find the issue.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I finally got some shorty wrenches to get the last bolt off the starter and before I even got it off, this piece fell out of the starter. What the hell is this because I have a feeling this is what f'd up my starter. Also attached the photo of what one of the tooth on the starter now looks like. Remember, this is a brand new starter

Attachments

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
So I finally got some shorty wrenches to get the last bolt off the starter and before I even got it off, this piece fell out of the starter. What the hell is this because I have a feeling this is what f'd up my starter. Also attached the photo of what one of the tooth on the starter now looks like. Remember, this is a brand new starter
Is yours automatic?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
1 - 20 of 68 Posts