Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Did u bolt the motor and tranny together? Was it already in the car?

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Guessing they had it apart at some point. Is that starter lifetime guaranteed? If not, I'd upgrade to one that is. That way if something is not lined up properly, you can swap it out after this.

I'm sure she will start up now tho. Lol.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Guessing they had it apart at some point. Is that starter lifetime guaranteed? If not, I'd upgrade to one that is. That way if something is not lined up properly, you can swap it out after this.

I'm sure she will start up now tho. Lol.
Yeah, got a duralast one from autozone so the replacement starter should be in tomorrow. Hopefully this fixes the problem

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My issue now is with people saying its different things such as part of starter and part of tranny, I don't know whether to install the new starter and see if it starts up, or hold off because it might make things worse. Plus, if its off the tranny I've never taken one off so I wouldn't even know where to start with that

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Sepperating the transmission is pretty easy its just 10 blots if you have an auto. But you say you never had the transmission off?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
My issue now is with people saying its different things such as part of starter and part of tranny, I don't know whether to install the new starter and see if it starts up, or hold off because it might make things worse. Plus, if its off the tranny I've never taken one off so I wouldn't even know where to start with that
If it were a line up dowel from the trans, It's no big deal, it fell out prior to assembly and you already have the trans bolts in. If It's from the starter bendix, you should be able to see where It's came apart. If your putting a new starter in anyway, you shouldn't have any worries.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
It looks like part of the starter bendix to me.
If it were a line up dowel from the trans, It's no big deal, it fell out prior to assembly and you already have the trans bolts in. If It's from the starter bendix, you should be able to see where It's came apart. If your putting a new starter in anyway, you shouldn't have any worries.
Agreed, looks like the pin that holds the bendix on the shaft. Alignment dowels are larger in diameter :good:

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Take it with u to the parts place. Let them see it. They should be able to pull up each part and find out for sure what it is. Tranny is not that big of a deal. Just get a friend to help u grunt.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Agreed, looks like the pin that holds the bendix on the shaft. Alignment dowels are larger in diameter :good:
The starter shaft has probably 6-8 of them inside the gear, that lay along side of the shaft. When the starter is spun, they lock (from: centrifical force ) ,allowing the gear to turn with the shaft. I hope this explains it because I have a hard time putting my thoughts into words.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Just remembered, it should be slightly egg shaped if it came from the Bendix . The picture looks like a bearing now that I look at it again. If It's not egg shaped, take it to the dealer, your about to have big problems.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So I replaced the old starter with the new one and the car fired right up again, thank goodness. After letting the car warm up, it started to screech so I turned the car off. First place I looked was the oil, more like lack of. So my question is do I pull the drain plug and drain it and fill with brand new oil, or do I just top it off to see if that is or isn't the cause for the screech

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Where was it coming from? The starter wasnt still engaged was it? Do you have a dipstick to check the oil? Don't drain it. Not if its fresh.

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

We need more info on the screech.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Where was it coming from? The starter wasnt still engaged was it? Do you have a dipstick to check the oil? Don't drain it. Not if its fresh.

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

We need more info on the screech.
I tried to pin point it but its just a broad, loud noise. It sounds the same on the left of the engine as it does in front and on the right side. It's not fresh oil in the car. It's newly bought but after a week of having it was when I had to do some work on it; starter, solenoid, ignition, etc so I haven't drove it in a couple weeks.

So should I go ahead and drain the old oil and put the new 10-30 in it? My first guess is for the screech is lack of oil and possibly the oil is bad and not lubricating all the parts properly

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Usually would have something more than screeching with lack of oil in my experience. It couldn't hurt but it makes me wonder if it was a pulley. Was the ac on? Could be the compressor. Can u take a video and post a link?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Usually would have something more than screeching with lack of oil in my experience. It couldn't hurt but it makes me wonder if it was a pulley. Was the ac on? Could be the compressor. Can u take a video and post a link?
No ac in the car. Ill go ahead and change the oil just because it needs it and for peace of mind. If its still screeching after that, then ill go ahead a shoot a video of it and then it may be a little easier for you or someone else to diagnose what else could be going wrong

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Yeah. Sorry brother, it could be a hundred things. It's all guessing until we can hear it for sure.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts