Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I woke up to get something out of my car and I came to realize that there are some scratches on my back fender. I was very shocked because I barely drove my car this weekend so I was guessing it must of happened on the freeway by some rocks but who knows. Long story short I tried taking the scratches off by waxing it a couple times. It did work a little by removing the majority and making them less noticeable. Unfortunately I can still see them and its bugging the crap out of me. I was wondering if there's anything I can use that can help remove them without it costing an arm and a leg. I was told theres some compound that can melt ur paint into the scratches but I wasn't sure if that can be used with my paint?? I was also told about touch up paint from dealerships but how much is that?? I always though anything from dealerships is expensive. I am open to suggestions and want these scratches gone. Like I said there semi bad scratches some I could barely feel the dent and some I can't feel at all. There's only one chip that I know woont come out but I rather have the majority of it off!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
touch up paint from a dealer is like $15
Now I've seen on a car but the color didn't seem to fit with it. You totally can tell there was a touch up. Maybe the person applied it wrong who knows? Have u seem it actually work?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Haven't heard of rubbing compound being used. Does that do something to the paint?? Is it used to remove scratches?? Not sure what u mean by abrasion! Lol
Yea it's a common use for scratches as long as they're not too deep. How it works is with the abrasive (means its kind of rough) compound. It acts as a very fine sandpaper. Don't let that scare u I know it sounds bad.

What it does is when u apply it and rub it in with a buffer pad it evens out the paint and fills in the scratches. The result is u can't see the scratches anymore.. Get a good rubbing compound and a buffer pad and a microfiber cloth.

Apply the compound (be generous with it) and rub it in with the buffer pad (u will have to use some pressure, takes a little elbow grease) then once it basically becomes a haze u can buff it off with a microfiber cloth. Repeat until scratches r gone. The. Put a coat of wax on top to protect it

·
Registered
545 Posts
Now I've seen on a car but the color didn't seem to fit with it. You totally can tell there was a touch up. Maybe the person applied it wrong who knows? Have u seem it actually work?
They have touch up paint but IMO it sucks and i believe you also need a clear coat for it as well.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any good running compound you suggest? Is there a specific amount to add? Is a buffer pad necessary or can I just use a cloth?

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

They have touch up paint but IMO it sucks and i believe you also need a clear coat for it as well.
I figured. I saw some touch up paint on a Altima and you can totally tell there's a touch up.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Scratch Out. Comes in a yellow bottle. End of story.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I like meguiars. There's some stuff out called ultimate compound that I've never used but it got great reviews and supposedly works well. Just apply a decent amount over the scratches and rub it in. U will prob need to do it multiple times. U can prob use a cloth. I've always used a pad but a cloth might work too

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
This is what I'm looking at
I know this might be off topic but that didn't come from a rock on the highway. Either you hit something or something hit you. :p looks like someone backed into you or you backed into something and it probably was not hard enough to notice bc it isn't bad.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Unless you go to an auto body shop that sells paint and stuff, you can never go wrong with 3M products.

As stated, use a rubbing compound and if they're not too deep, you'll be happy with the results.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I like meguiars. There's some stuff out called ultimate compound that I've never used but it got great reviews and supposedly works well. Just apply a decent amount over the scratches and rub it in. U will prob need to do it multiple times. U can prob use a cloth. I've always used a pad but a cloth might work too
I've used this... Works great (both by hand and with random orbital) to remove clear coat scratches... Anything deeper, have a shop repair it.

Use a good wax afterwards.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know this might be off topic but that didn't come from a rock on the highway. Either you hit something or something hit you. :p looks like someone backed into you or you backed into something and it probably was not hard enough to notice bc it isn't bad.
Hmm..

·
Registered
108 Posts
Unless you go to an auto body shop that sells paint and stuff, you can never go wrong with 3M products.

As stated, use a rubbing compound and if they're not too deep, you'll be happy with the results.
I've also found the AMMO products to be especially effective.

·
Registered
71 Posts
lol I bought mine to paint the gt on the back kona blud

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
it may all buff out, get a detailer with a buffer (a professional) to look at it, wotn cost a ton and will look like new.

You could try yourself with rubbing compound (3m clear coat safe) and a few tries to smooth it out but it just depends on how deep it is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts