Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I remember the song but did thought of it more as a love song and only in that way (a loved one going off to the VN war) related it to VN. But then, I knew it was written by John Denver (a guy) so it wouldn't have made a lot of sense (back then at least) that a guy would be singing "kiss me and smile for me, tell me that you'll wait for me..." to a soldier (we didn't have female soldiers back then) going off to VN.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, I remember it well.

No, I never associated it with Vietnam. We typically sent our men, including me, on that senior trip. When the song opens it is Mary who has her bags packed, it is Mary who hates to wake you up. So no, I took it as some other sort of separation, perhaps college.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No, I don't think so. It is to bad that during this period so much in the public eye was connected to things that I wanted to avoid and distance myself from. The things that seemed to me to be in vogue and popular were contradictory to what I had been taught were decent and acceptable. I , at this time, kinda developed a dislike of anything that was thought to be hip and cool. I guess people like me belong out on a ranch in a remote area where they can insulate themselves from the public and the perceived spin, down the drain and into the sewer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was in the Army in '67. I remember the song but I didn't associate the song with 'Nam. PP & M was a folk group and it seemed that most folk groups were anti-war and also anti-military, at least in their selection of songs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Some may have. If you listen to the words,and imagine a soldier is singing it. You might have identified it with the war,but I'm pretty sure most looked at it as a love song.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh wow, I haven't heard that song in years. That made me cry. I was a child and no, I didn't associate it with the war. But I just did and felt the sadness.

"Tell me that you'll wait for me"

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, I remember.

No. I had heard that John Denver wrote it about having to leave his future wife while on so many music tours. That's why the part says, "Every song I sing, I'll sing for you."

·
Registered
49 Posts
It reminds me of K. Lynn who use to lay on her bed looking out the window singing it in such a dreamy voice---I thought she was smoking but the memory must be wrong cause Ma would have nailed both of us to the wall.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was just a little kid when it first came out.
No doubt some people connected it to 'Nam for more than the fact it came out during the war, like about GIs shipping out to 'Nam on a plane.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was dating a Mid (Naval Academy Midshipman) then.

The top songs for them were "Leaving on a Jet Plane" and "Love the One You're With"...pretty much depended on whether or not they were in a serious relationship.

·
Registered
37 Posts
1. Yep.. saw PP&M live a couple of times....."way back then"
2. Nope.... just take it as being a sad love song about separation.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I love that song! I remember it when I was a kid back in the '80s, my parents had an old record player. I wish I was alive in 1967.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts