Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help...The 'Service Engine Soon' light came on this morning - car sounds/acts just fine. This happened about 6 months ago (of course, the car was still under warranty then - it is NOT under warranty now) and a sensor (fuel sensor? I forget, really)was bad and was replaced.
I'm figuring the same thing has happened since I understand there is an issue with these sensor things. I am wondering what to do with it since dealers look to screw people once the warranty is gone.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Val

·
Registered
574 Posts
Drive to Autozone and tell them to read your code. That will tell you exactly what is going on rather than guessing. O2 sensors are the most frequent cause of the SES light, but not the only cause.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Laser....is the dealer going to hose me for this repair or would Auto Zone do the trick without trying to steal every last quarter out of my pocket?

·
Registered
574 Posts
The dealer would probably charge you to diagnose the problem. Autozone will read you your code for free. After that, depending on what needs to be fixed, I'd take it somewhere other than a dealer.

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
yeah what laser said... theyll tell you possibilities of what it might be, then take it to a shop that specializes in your problem. Autozone wont do the work for you, theyll just tell you possiblities of what might be wrong. Also, what they tell isnt necessarily whats wrong ;) just dont take it to a dealer... youll feel like you were just manhandled by the hulk after a visit to ford lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder if disconnecting the battery would make that freakin' annoying light go away ;) Is it even worth a try?

I wonder what cars did before all these "gizmos" were added to them to tell us they have a fart cross-ways.....they acted/ran just fine without all that BS, that's what. Just my .02 on that.......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Resetting the CD/radio shouldn't be a problem - it gave me fits when I first got the car and I'm surprised I didn't run into something.

I saw somewhere that -sometimes- (probably not too frequently) if you disconnect the battery for 15 min the light goes away (for however long).

The car runs/acts just fine - which, makes the light and subsequent expense pretty f---ing annoying, especially right around the holidays and ESPECIALLY since I had this done not 6 months agon :oops:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yeah, you can reset it by disconnecting the battery, I would step on the brake pedal 3 or 4 times after disconnecting it, and leave it disconnected as long as you can without causing yourself a problem, I usually do mine overnight if I can, then drive for 20 miles or more non stop on restart to give it all time to reset itself. It is a good idea to take it to autozone for a code read though, its free, no cost at all. The repairs, if necessary, can be done after Christmas.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Fancy Autozone things??? A code reader maybe? What did this fancy thing cost?

·
Registered
87 Posts
My light came on a while ago too. I took it to AutoZone and they told me it was
1. cylinder #1 misfiring

They recommended changing the plugs and wires so I did. I later took it to a shop who checked the actual spark going through the wires and they figured out it was a bad coil pack.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts