Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 89 5.0 automatic that starts to shakes very bad at 30 right through 55. I checked my front end out and found a inner tie rod bad so I replaced the inner and outer. I got the car aligned and rebalanced my tires. It made no difference I figured I would replace my U joints even though they looked and felt OK. On my front yoke there is something that looks like a harmonic balancer. It was starting to fall off so I removed it the rest of the way reinstalled the drive shaft. The shake is a lot better know but I still feel a small shake around 40. The drive shaft still has the weights on it to balance it. I'm lost at this point has anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also what is the point of the ring around the front yoke? I was told that only autos had it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah we marked it. I was looking at 1 from American Muscle without the damper and they said it fit autos and standards. So I'm guessing I'm OK to not have the damper? The car is way better than it was before, it was like my tires were ovals. Now it's a slight shake could have even been the road I tested it on.

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
67mustang97 said:
Yeah we marked it. I was looking at 1 from American Muscle without the damper and they said it fit autos and standards. So I'm guessing I'm OK to not have the damper? The car is way better than it was before, it was like my tires were ovals. Now it's a slight shake could have even been the road I tested it on.
yeah i believe i heard you can run without it. not sure on that though.

also could be tires, u joints etc

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I have new tires and just replaced the u joints. I was worried it could be a transmission issue. It's a convertible it rides so stiff some of the roads around here could play a big part.

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
to me it seems like since you removed a piece from the drive shaft and it improved, that it should be your problem area. thats unless you had multiple problems which is possible.

i would suspect flwwheel and harmonic balancer before the tranny.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK thanks! I haven't had a Fox for about 11 years and I've never had an auto.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will. I'm going to pull it out and test drive it again once the temp up here in Vt. hits 60.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Is there any way to put it on jackstands and spin the tires to see if anything shows up??If you suspect the drive shaft and the u joints are good,,you can use a hose clamp and tighten it up,,and try it ,,and then move the clamp in different positions,and see if it make a different,,with that dampener off it may have threw it out of balance,,the clamp sounds crazy but that little bit of weight position in different areas makes a difference..If it is your drive shaft you can probably have it balanced,,

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

Is there any way to put it on jackstands and spin the tires to see if anything shows up??If you suspect the drive shaft and the u joints are good,,you can use a hose clamp and tighten it up,,and try it ,,and then move the clamp in different positions,and see if it make a different,,with that dampener off it may have threw it out of balance,,the clamp sounds crazy but that little bit of weight position in different areas makes a difference..If it is your drive shaft you can probably have it balanced,,
and if its something else you might see it on the stands,,just be carefull

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's such a hard shake the column started shaking I shifted from drive to over drive and it didn't change so I'm thinking it has to be speed related not rpm related.

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
Dream had it right earlier. What you took off was a vibration dampener and is probably the main cause of what your feeling now. Also I would suggest checking the bolts at the rear of the shaft to make sure they're not backing out.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
It's ok to NOT have the damper on a driveshaft that was never meant to have one. For yours it is evidently needed. An aluminum driveshaft would be a good upgrade and the aluminum will further help to dampen any vibrations. Plus you can polish them up to be all shiny too. ;) :D

·
Registered
525 Posts
It's such a hard shake the column started shaking I shifted from drive to over drive and it didn't change so I'm thinking it has to be speed related not rpm related.
Get it to shake and then knock in neutral,,see what happens,,also inspect the tires closeiy even on the inside,,you might have a broke belt,,if it is youll see a slight hump on the tread,,its easy to miss if you dont look close,,Dont look from the profile,,get right behind the tire and look while someone rolls it a little at a time,,Also,,this might seem silly,,but go down the road and have someone driving in another car,,and when it starts to shake,,let the other person watch your wheels ,,you can see which wheel acting up,,if its in the wheel..

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Check the bolts on the rear u-joint on the drive shaft for sure one more time because when I got my fox it vibrated at 40 and was really bad the faster you went

1 - 19 of 19 Posts