Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how involved and what all exactly is done when installing a shift kit i was thinking about the transgo one

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
you unbolt your tranny pan and then unbolt the valve body and unplug all sensors on it, you then take the valve body and remove valves from it and replace the springs and some valves with the ones from the kit, you drill a couople holes on the valve body cover out larger and one hole ni the valve body its self. then put it all back together. its not hard if you have done this sort of stuff before but if you screw it up...it coudl cost you a tranny rebuilt. just let a pro do it and at a business also this way they are liable for the damages of putting it in wrong.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Well jeffrunr I have heard from more than a few people that have had problems with Transgo shift kits on 99+ stangs. I would go with a B&M or superior shift kit if I were you

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
i have heard 99 ups have issues also, my 97 never gave any trouble but why take a risk...get another brand.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Of course there are exceptions but why take the risk on a 99+ when you can just get another brand and have the same performance.

·
Registered
567 Posts
just get B&M. Why hope that your transgo *might* work out. Just get one that always does.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Anybody got real numbers on the performance increase with a shift kit? Just curious... :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
umm..maybe a mph or two..from the quicker shifts. Dont think it help ET too much but it may.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I dunno why everyone rags on Transgo. That was the very first mod I did with exhaust and had the shift kit for 2 years and not a single problem I think those were past issues that have been resolved or it an idiot of a person mess up there trans. I know of two other V6-ers in my area that also have the Transgo and not a single problem ever. but thats just my 2 pennys.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Anything that would harden up the mashed potatoes that is my shift points would be a plus even if it slowed the car down. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
231 Posts
A properly installed shift kit will not hurt anything. Regardless of brand.
But here is where problems arise.
People modify thier car, then go out and drive it like they stole it because it's faster and then when something brakes, they blame the installed part.
Rather than saying, "Hmmm.....maybe I did push the car just a little too hard."

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Nobody is ragging transgo. I have a transgo but people with 99+ cars have had some problems. I have a 98 and there does not seem to be aproblem with 94-98 stangs. But I have heard of no one with problems with Superior or B&M shift kits on 99+

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Extreme Effects.com said:
People modify thier car, then go out and drive it like they stole it because it's faster and then when something brakes, they blame the installed part.
I agree to an extent. I pushed my 00 as far as I could when I raced it BUT i also took care of it like if it were my kid. Ah wells everything is all good as someone enjoys my old 6 since it has a little kick in it :D

·
Registered
941 Posts
transgo is not a good idea, here's why:

http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4121

it's all about the jerry mod.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Extreme Effects.com said:
I agree. I have an'01 with a transgo i have had no problems with it....also B&M does not make a shift kit for 2000+ I had orignally ordered a 96-99 shift kit thinking it was the same but there is a slight difference in the valve body. So it won't work.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts