·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you guys have any recommendations on shifters?? im looking to buy one real soon

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
ive ran steeda/b&m and drove pro 5.0s and a few others, the over all best is the steeda due to its not quite so short that its a pain for normal driving, its MUCH more springy than the others, the ONLY down side is a little more road noise (just put more padding around the base when you install it and it will be fine) and if you have a metal knob it gets hot... but not to bad... just pretty warm.

compared to the stock noodle shifter it will be night and day with a new steeda shifter

·
Registered
71 Posts
I heard too many good things about the tri-ax, thats what im gonna get. The B&M you had, was it a ripper or a pro ripper, the pro doesnt look bad, its kinda pricey too.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
I had the solid handle ripper, it was new at the time but this was two years ago, I would go with the steeda and insulate it a tad more to remove any sound that you may get

·
Registered
71 Posts
what do you recommend insulating it with, and use tape to hold the **** on?

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
well sound deadening, there is some spare under your rear seat, which is super easy to pop up just cut a little off or go buy some and lay it over it nice and good and your set.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would suggest an MGW shifter. You don't have to worry about the sound deadening. Mine is quiet. They seem to be the newest thing out and I really love mine. I see a lot of used tri-ax shifters hitting ebay by people switching over. I think mine came to $181 shipped though. www.mgwltd.com There is also a good thread on it on fordpower.net but I don't have the direct link. :) Oh yeah, it was easy to install too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
oaktonarcher said:
there is a guy that i *think* is a sponcer of this site that sells insolator kits.
If you do decide to go to the tri-ax (I wouldn't but if you do) you can stop by Home Depot and get some of that plasti-kote stuff. It is like liquid rubber you dip the handles of pliers and stuff in. Then dip whatever parts of the tri-ax in it. That is what I have heard works the best. :)

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Falcon said:
www.stangshifters.com i believe sells what was mentioned earlier
That reminds me. When I was shopping, the best price for a Tri-Ax if that is what you decide on was at www.stangsuspension.com. I think you might get a better price if you email them (Josh). I also heard that using the gasket, you don't get as good a seal as with the rtv sealant so I went with it on my MGW. However, if you want to change it once in a while, you might want to use the gasket. :)

·
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
7,212 Posts
I have the tri-ax with a set of gaskets from another source (cobrabob.com) and that setup is nice. I enjoy the slight sound of the tranny spinning. The shift is solid. You can't miss 3rd unless your clutch foot gets a little quick...and it is a solid piece.

The gaskets I think are better because you don't have the issue of an even application of silicone gasket. It doesn't change the seating or anything. I say get the tri-ax, you won't be disappointed. Oh, and I also had a tri-ax on my 2000 GT before I sold that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts