Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 5.0 with a t5 and a few weeks ago it started making a whining noise from the transmission area. I attributed it to be the throw out bearing. Today on my way to work i couldnt get it to go into first or 2nd from a stop. It would go in 3rd thru 5th. I had to let the car roll then it would slide into first, with the clutch down. It will shift up fine but i cannot downshift at all in any combination.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Sounds more than a clutch cable adjustment problem to me. Usually you will only have problems downshifting from my experience. But I don't know everything!lol Maybe someone else will chime in and teach us something....

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i just drove it home from work and it went right into first gear when i left the parking lot. Shifted into 2nd just fine and then 3rd and as i was coming to a stop sign and tried to downshift to 2nd it wouldnt go, wouldnt go into first until i stopped either. Then after taking off again it would not go into 2nd so i skipped it and went thru 3, 4 and 5 no problem. I can down shift from 5th to 4th and 4th to 3rd but again no 2nd at all and first only when stopped and even then it doesnt want to go into gear. Clutch pedal feels the same as always and the clutch isnt slipping at all that i can tell, i didnt take it over 15-1700 rpms.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Clutch pedal feels the same as always and the clutch isnt slipping at all that i can tell, i didnt take it over 15-1700 rpms.
If you clutch cable is stretched it might not feel all that different, tell me if your on a slight backwards slope, with the clutch fully depressed is there still load on the stick when you shift OUT of first?

---------- Post added at 01:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

the clutch isnt slipping at all that i can tell, i didnt take it over 15-1700 rpms.
You probably wouldnt notice clutch slip until you got into your powerband, 2.5k or so and up or unless your clutch disk was pretty damn bad. (I could be wrong)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts