Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I want to get a short shifter for my 1994 GT. Any thoughts on those cheapo ones on eBay??

·
Registered
269 Posts
Honestly, are they worth the 150 somethin dollars or so? I mean is it a good place to invest money into the car compared to other upgrades? Just askin cause I was thinkin about lookin into short throws as well

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
foxbox said:
Honestly, are they worth the 150 somethin dollars or so? I mean is it a good place to invest money into the car compared to other upgrades? Just askin cause I was thinkin about lookin into short throws as well
after using a cheapo i 100% believe the investment is worth it.

·
Banned
1,656 Posts
Yeah I'd rather stick with a stock shifter than have a cheapy one I'd be more likely to miss a gear with.
pro 5.0 or mgw would be the two I would choose from.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Why is the pro 5.0 short throw so much more sought after than the steeda tri-ax? I mean the pro 5.0 does look considerably stronger but very generic, while on the other hand, the tri-ax has steeda known quality. They are about the same price, so whats the deal breaker?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I get all my stuff off of American Muscle.com. Last time I looked for one on there, they were $60. But at the same time, a guy I used to work with has a foxbody and says he has gone through 2 transmissions since he got it. I dunno if that's because he doesn't know how to drive or short throws aren't as good as they say.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Re: Short Shifters

Why is the pro 5.0 short throw so much more sought after than the steeda tri-ax? I mean the pro 5.0 does look considerably stronger but very generic, while on the other hand, the tri-ax has steeda known quality. They are about the same price, so whats the deal breaker?
In the end, "There can be only one!" :D

The Pro 5.0 is engineered to last, mine is over 10 years old and no problems with it ever.

You want a good shifter with stops to keep you from bending the shifting forks and one that will help keep you from missing third gear? Get the Pro 5.0.

If you want a lesser quality shifter that just looks good and is not as strong or reliable, get something else.

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
Trojan Horse said:
In the end, "There can be only one!" :D

The Pro 5.0 is engineered to last, mine is over 10 years old and no problems with it ever.

You want a good shifter with stops to keep you from bending the shifting forks and one that will help keep you from missing third gear? Get the Pro 5.0.

If you want a lesser quality shifter that just looks good and is not as strong or reliable, get something else.
Exactly. Mine looks good. It has a adjustable side springs and stops. But even with all that the shift are really hard. And I know its not the trans because I have used it on 2 different transmissions. I don't miss any shifts, I just wish it were more crisp.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

Exactly. Mine looks good. It has a adjustable side springs and stops. But even with all that the shift are really hard. And I know its not the trans because I have used it on 2 different transmissions. I don't miss any shifts, I just wish it were more crisp.
But is it better than stock?

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
I used a Hurst shifter on my old 95 and my 87 and loved it.. That said I would recommend the Pro 5.0 or Hurst over any of the countless shifters I've rowed gears with.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

Watch eBay. I've seen a few tri-axes and pro 5.0 on there go for a hundred, sometimes less. Just be patient. Everytime I see one I don't have money, go figure.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
jdavis96gt said:
Watch eBay. I've seen a few tri-axes and pro 5.0 on there go for a hundred, sometimes less. Just be patient. Everytime I see one I don't have money, go figure.
:good: Craigslist as well.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts

Does your trans use gear oil or auto trans fluid?
If it uses auto trans fluid, try the (you have no idea how much it hurts for me to say this ;))....GM Synchromesh fluid. From what I have read it improves performance and shifting. :good:

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
Trojan Horse said:
Does your trans use gear oil or auto trans fluid?
If it uses auto trans fluid, try the (you have no idea how much it hurts for me to say this ;))....GM Synchromesh fluid. From what I have read it improves performance and shifting. :good:
Mine is a wc so it takes auto trans fluid. I have heard that trick. Maybe I will try it one day. :good:

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I have the steeda tri ax and i think it's the best mod I've done. More precise and positive. I also like a buddies mgw shifter but prefer the notchineness of my tri ax. I had an economy shifter from AM and honestly I liked it. But it definitely was a very short throw and very very notchy and almost hard to shift in the winter when you swap the stiffer springs in.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts

I have the steeda tri ax and i think it's the best mod I've done. More precise and positive. I also like a buddies mgw shifter but prefer the notchineness of my tri ax. I had an economy shifter from AM and honestly I liked it. But it definitely was a very short throw and very very notchy and almost hard to shift in the winter when you swap the stiffer springs in.
You know what, I have experienced the notchiness too with my Pro 5.0 and I don't like it much. I have frequently wondered as to its exact cause. Maybe some day I or one of us will have the chance to investigate this issue closely and come up with a cure. I can't help but think that maybe some grinding and polishing or other mechanical changes might cure the problem and I believe if a solution is found, that it may be worth some coin to the discoverer. I know I would pay a reasonable price to cure it in my transmission. :good:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts