Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new on here.

i have an 05 GT im looking to install a short throw shifter. does anyone know the best priced/ best preforming shifter?

also is it hard to do yourself?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's not hard to do yourself. As far as best brand, I like the Steeda TriAx. Some folks like MGW or Hurst better though.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
mgw has a GREAT reputation and seeing first hand the install on an 08 GT and all the parts that they give you its got my vote by far over anything else out there.

you can only order them from www.mgwltd.com

·
Banned
510 Posts
Pro 5.0 makes the best shifter. It's like $260 on eBay. I've driven a lot of mustangs with different shifters. If you want a shifter that performs you want a pro 5.0.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Silversky545 said:
Tri ax is what I have... it's damn near same as stock, Hurst was better I'd go mgw for sure...
The length of the throws is damn near stock. I experienced a very noticeable difference in ease of clicking from gear to gear though.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Tri ax is a migration shifter for people who r coming from imports... I want a notchy hard to engage each gear tranny /shifter like the old school tri ax /tko combo... miss my 97 cobra soooo much

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I have a Hurst. I like the style, throw distance, position and feel BUT it has a stiffness that has never gone away so the speed cut down on shifting is not as much as it should be. It takes genuine effort to row it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Silversky545 said:
Tri ax is a migration shifter for people who r coming from imports... I want a notchy hard to engage each gear tranny /shifter like the old school tri ax /tko combo... miss my 97 cobra soooo much
Haha. Well, I've never owned anything except Ford, Chevy and Dodge, but I've also pretty much only owned big trucks, so I guess it just felt a lot better to me. :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
muscledom said:
Pro 5.0 makes the best shifter. It's like $260 on eBay. I've driven a lot of mustangs with different shifters. If you want a shifter that performs you want a pro 5.0.

image-3100030522.jpg

I had the pro 5.0 before, not bad but my MGW is by far the best shifter I have ever had in any of my mustangs. Very well made, precise crisp notchy shifting. I have it with the MGW shift ball.

·
Registered
178 Posts
BenGT07 said:
It's not hard to do yourself. As far as best brand, I like the Steeda TriAx. Some folks like MGW or Hurst better though.
I have the triAX also and find it way better than stock, it might not be the shortest throw out there but I have never had a problem with mine and works great!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I like my hurst, just took awhile getting use to the remote mount shifter in general

·
Registered
455 Posts
Ha ha I have a mgw shifter for sale lol I had a tri ax in and took it out cause mgw was supposed to be better put it in and didn't like it so yeah anyone looking for one?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
CZYFAST said:
Ha ha I have a mgw shifter for sale lol I had a tri ax in and took it out cause mgw was supposed to be better put it in and didn't like it so yeah anyone looking for one?
It's not that ones better then the other it's just what you like better, I mean the mgw is made better and you pay for it but in the end it's really just over engineered

·
Registered
455 Posts
Well yeah I just meant it was supposed to be better but I didn't like it, nothing wrong with the quality just didn't like it.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
If you go Hurst, get the billet one its beefier. I love mine. It doesn't shake or vibrate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts