Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Mustang with headers on it already iv read that they are just as good as aftermarket shorties is that true ??

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Yes it's true. longtubes will make a difference BUT... You have a '98 so installing them is not easy. ONLY the 1998 V6 has to get a notch cut out of the K member for them to fit. Another option which I am going with is get a set of primaries with cats. You can see them at- "mandrelexhaustsystems.com"

·
Registered
292 Posts
What kind of midpipe would i need to use if i wanted longtube headers but still wanted cats in the system?

·
Registered
384 Posts
What kind of midpipe would i need to use if i wanted longtube headers but still wanted cats in the system?
Best option for you is to buy matching longtube headers and a catted midpipe from the same manufacturer.. such as: BBK has longtube headers and matching catted shorty H and X pipes that will fit properly ahead of your catback. These are available from AmericanMuscle.com

MAC and Pacesetter probably do to... but I didn't look for those...

Another option is to install the longtubes and have a shop fabricate the rest...

Also........ as Robb15033 mentioned, Mandrel Exhaust Systems is a custom fabricator and they make more than just exhaust. Contact them and see if they can build you a stubby version of this 99-04 MUSTANG V6 EXHAUST X-PIPE W/ CATS (I have this midpipe on my car)

Just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Soo bAsically I leave the stock headers and just get from the cats back
The primaries connect directly to your headers and the primaries include the cats, curve around with an X pipe you can connect a catback to or whatever other ideas you might have. Magnaflow sells one too but much more expensive. mandrelexhaustsystems.com is a bit cheaper and as usual, we V6 owners are limited to variety when it comes to headers, primaries, cats, whatever needed to produce a decent dual exhaust. -I have some out of the norm ideas for my next system, should be pretty sweet & pretty wild. I can waite a while, love my set up I'm running now, which I devised. Good luck. Let me know what you do, please.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Best option for you is to buy matching longtube headers and a catted midpipe from the same manufacturer.. such as: BBK has longtube headers and matching catted shorty H and X pipes that will fit properly ahead of your catback. These are available from AmericanMuscle.com

MAC and Pacesetter probably do to... but I didn't look for those...

Another option is to install the longtubes and have a shop fabricate the rest...

Just my 2 cents....
Thanks man, i appreciate the help.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes it's true. longtubes will make a difference BUT... You have a '98 so installing them is not easy. ONLY the 1998 V6 has to get a notch cut out of the K member for them to fit. Another option which I am going with is get a set of primaries with cats. You can see them at- "mandrelexhaustsystems.com"
You have mac's on your car? When I took the set of Mac's off my car we put them on my friends 98 with no problems.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
pacesetter long tube headers................. cheaper and they also come with a matching x-pipe that slips right up on the headers

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
You have mac's on your car? When I took the set of Mac's off my car we put them on my friends 98 with no problems.
I don't know how you would be able to do it, unless an automatic transmission would make clearance? I don't know. You can Google: "1998 V6 Mustang long tube headers" and read some things people have done to make it work but you'll notice that MAC and Pacesetter don't have a listing for '98 V6.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm not sure if it has to do with mac's craftsmanship, or the fact that you have to get headers without air/egr for it to work but they fit....

Maybe those people just gave up trying? I know the first time I ever worked on my car was when I tried to put headers on it and I almost gave up, now I can slide a set in in 15min :p

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I'm not sure if it has to do with mac's craftsmanship, or the fact that you have to get headers without air/egr for it to work but they fit....

Maybe those people just gave up trying? I know the first time I ever worked on my car was when I tried to put headers on it and I almost gave up, now I can slide a set in in 15min :p after the other headers are taken out of the way
lol.........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts