Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am getting my car painted soon and I want to get it black. Found a great deal. However, the door jambs take it up another $300+. I want to know if I should go about trying to paint the door jambs myself with some black automotive spray paint. Does anyone out there have any wisdom on this?

If you do, let me know ASAP. I need to get my supplies ready!!! :)

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I've been told that black is a car painters worst nightmare. My body shop professor tells me that they can and will charge you Almost double because black is a tricky color. If you do them yourself, I can't guarantee you they will come out looking the same

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What color is your car?
I've been told that black is a car painters worst nightmare. My body shop professor tells me that they can and will charge you Almost double because black is a tricky color. If you do them yourself, I can't guarantee you they will come out looking the same
That is interesting. I have never heard that before. However, if I am just painting the door jams can it be that much of a disaster? Knock on wood... LoL

·
Registered
91 Posts
To make a color change, you must to have a PROFESSIONAL. If you paint your car any color than the original color, somewhere, you`ll see some mistake (old paint)... To make a perfect job, it`s better to strip the entire car... My car go also to the bodyshop Friday... and it will be repaint the same color as original.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Just throw out the money if your going to do the whole car. It won't look the same as a professional and you will spend all that money an have pieces of black that don't match and look like ****. Lol

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
you get what you pay for when it comes to painting cars, go cheap and end up redoing it or it always looking bad FYI

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
devanslive said:
You have echoed most people's sentiments and I think I agree with you all now... Cool, thanks...
People like to throw their own opinions in. Gotta realize people will be blunt honest if you post a thread lol. Good luck tho, black is sweet :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
People like to throw their own opinions in. Gotta realize people will be blunt honest if you post a thread lol. Good luck tho, black is sweet :)
I am cool with the opinions. Shoot, I gotta holler at people who are more well versed than I am about these things so I appreciate the input. :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Once she goes black, she won't go back..lol so have a professional do it for you :)

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
maldog said:
Once she goes black, she won't go back..lol so have a professional do it for you :)
Yeah mine is halfway there LOL

·
Registered
984 Posts
Just have them do it I just got mine painted grabber blue and it's dead on color on everything to door jams and trunk plus they're warranty covers any imperfection so I don't have to worry about anything

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just have them do it I just got mine painted grabber blue and it's dead on color on everything to door jams and trunk plus they're warranty covers any imperfection so I don't have to worry about anything
Good plan... Looks like I will be having the body shop do the full job on it. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts