Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Mustang V6 of course, but I want to order some 18 inch Cobra R Rims but someone told me that going to big will slow me down, should I go for smaller rims???

·
Registered
48 Posts
Anytime you increase wheel weight, or mass, you'll increase the amount of power needed to turn them. There are superlight big wheels out there, but I don't know enough about their strength to recommend them. :|

Another downer is that it also takes more braking power to stop the car with bigger wheels. I'd recommend Cobra brakes too. :headbang:

Don't know what you're doing with your car, but you could run the big wheels around town and keep your stockers for playing at the drag strip. :)

The main reasons the factory put the small rims on there were 1) cost and 2) acceleration/braking improvement in the weaker drivelines. They figured if you wanted the really good looking wheels you'd buy the GT or Cobra, I guess. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
414 Posts
I personally really like 17's. They are big enough to give you good handling but light enough not to make your car suck. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
The bigger your tires are, the less miles will be put on your car. Also, your speedometer will read wrong, not that it matters much because nobody ever follows the speed limit

·
Registered
941 Posts
no, it won't. unless you purposefully get larger tires, the overall tire height will remain the same and hence no speedo change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts