Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't really think its dangerous to your car but in my opinion it doesn't do very much at all.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It is not dangerous to the car in anyway.
Read this:

http://www.232stangs.com/how_to/performance/air_silencer/

Its an article I wrote about the air silencer.
It explains about removing it, and how to modify it.
And that it may loose power or how it could gain.

Lots of people say it looses 5hp. Its also been dynoed that way. So read my article and cut yours. Best bet.

·
Registered
567 Posts
when you get a CAI you wont have the silencer anymore..

there wont be any gains from it, if anything, a loss like he said.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
wiarumas said:
one last question.. should i get a CAI before i do this or do you think it will be fine without one?
When you get a CAI, you remove the Stock air intake unit, which consists of the silencer. Most CAI's are fenderwell which means the filters are located in the fender drawing colder air. Thats one of the reasons iam saying to keep the silencer on, just cut the opening larger so that you can draw in more air.

·
Registered
166 Posts
remove

After you remove the silencer the car may run very rich and rough, backfire. Unplug the battery to reset the ecu or wait a few hours.
Made a difference for me at high speed.

Get a CAI off ebay for $50 I got mine for $66 shipped and it's a MAC clone. Same system, except no K&N. Spend $40 on the filter and you're still way below new price for a name brand intake.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Re: remove

ASSEMbler said:
Get a CAI off ebay for $50 I got mine for $66 shipped and it's a MAC clone. Same system, except no K&N. Spend $40 on the filter and you're still way below new price for a name brand intake.

Ebay CAI's come with a blue "holley" air filter,also highflow, and its pretty much the same thing as a K&N. Just buy a recharge kit and you can recharge those.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
some one dynoed their car and lost hp from the removal of the silencer, i dont see it causing any loss in power but dont expect any gain from it either

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Pete cambell dynoed the air silencer removal for a -5rwhp loss in his v6 mustang.

But he also had a huge fan blowing air in the garage. No one really knows what to believe, which is why i just say cut half of it so 1 its still there so no loss and 2. its bigger opening so more air.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts