Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an 1985 Mustang, has a holley double pumper carb, I was wondering if it would be better to run fuel with ethanol or fuel with ethanol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My feeling is that you would be better off not having the ethanol. It attracts water and it's hard on rubber fuel components (lines, fuel pump diaphragm, carb needle/seat assembly, accelerator pump diaphragm, etc). Those parts will tend to wear out quicker.

If you drive it all the time, the water should not be much of an issue. I have '71 Cutlass that may only get refueled every other month. That gives time for water to accumulate and cause corrosion.

If it's no more than 10% you probably won't notice much difference. Going over that is uncharted territory and is the subject of current debate with the EPA, ethanol producers, and car manufacturers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
ethanol is cheaper if you're worried about saving 10 cents a gallon now but at the same time you'll be putting more gas in your car faster than you think because the mileage per gallon dramatically decreases.

·
Registered
37 Posts
both of the previous answers are correct, but if you live in a metropolitan area where you have emission tests it is probably a moot point since the EPA usually requires 10% in all fuels in those geographic areas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
fuel with ethanol is E10, most fuels for your car..
ethanol with fuel is E85 and only for certain cars (not your Mustang)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts