Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I have an odd issue and am hoping someone here can help shed some light.

2016 Ecoboost with 42,900 miles.

For the last month or two, my horn has been "shy". What I mean by that is sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Issue does not appear to be the switch in the steering column because when it is working, I can engage with the horn via the steering wheel button or with the remote panic button.

I have done no mods to the horn, all factory setup.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
810 Posts
Plastic piece of cr*p. Probably needs a new one. Check for loose connection, if that doesn't work smack it with a plastic hammer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plastic piece of cr*p. Probably needs a new one. Check for loose connection, if that doesn't work smack it with a plastic hammer.

Funny but the IT guy in me seems to think smack it with hammer might not necessarily help...

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
I just noticed that your mileage is past the bumper to bumper warranty. So that eliminates the chance of a free fix at the dealership.
I don't know much about the late model Mustangs, but typically the horn is controlled by a module of some sort. You're an IT guy, so find a wiring schematic for your car and trace the wire that controls the horn function.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
look under the hood and find it...normally the horn will have a small screw on it adjust that in/out a bit and see what happens. The next thing I would try is swapping out the horn relay.

Mud

Oh wait...you're an IT guy....shut it off and re-boot it

:)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
look under the hood and find it...normally the horn will have a small screw on it adjust that in/out a bit and see what happens. The next thing I would try is swapping out the horn relay.

Mud

Bhwaa lol

Sent from my LG-H918 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just noticed that your mileage is past the bumper to bumper warranty. So that eliminates the chance of a free fix at the dealership.

I don't know much about the late model Mustangs, but typically the horn is controlled by a module of some sort. You're an IT guy, so find a wiring schematic for your car and trace the wire that controls the horn function.

Stray, IT Guy does not equal electrician unfortunately...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Mud

I think the reboot sequence may be what oxford was mentioning...

Tried to purchase a relay but neither the local dealers or parts stores have it yet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will take a look tonight. At work currently.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts