Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car to the drag strip but no matter what I did it wouldn't get any bite. The power was great but I was spinning through third all the way. Any advice on which tires to get?

·
ME Bloodhound
14,699 Posts
Drag Radials provide good grip at the track and are street legal... If you want a set of tires for the track and a different set for the street then get Drag Slicks for the track.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Put some staggered wheels on it, I have some FR500s 9" front tires and 10 1/2 rear tires. I had the same problem with my stocks and got these and grip is amazing now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do I need 4 new tires slick in front and back, or can I just do the back?

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

Ryan7racin said:
Put some staggered wheels on it, I have some FR500s 9" front tires and 10 1/2 rear tires. I had the same problem with my stocks and got these and grip is amazing now.
What would I be able to launch at? I was launching under 2k and was still spinning on the track

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
We're in 2 different cars so I'm not sure. My stocks were 8" wide and they wouldn't hook up at all once I got these I can lunch alot better with very little wheel spin but I'm also around 300lbs lighter than you and have a lot less power. But I'm sure it will still help a ton with grip, it's one of my favorite upgrades cause it's looks and performance.

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
RedBandit11 said:
Do I need 4 new tires slick in front and back, or can I just do the back?

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

What would I be able to launch at? I was launching under 2k and was still spinning on the track
Were you slipping the clutch or dumping it at 2k?

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
If you are planning to drive on drag tires every day there are some things to be aware of.

NEVER get caught in the rain. While drag radials are street legal they have no grip in the rain. Once they let loose it is over. You won't recover it.

And because they are such a soft compound you won't get many miles on them. If you are lucky you may get 5,000 street miles on them.

So if you are doing it to save cost, factor in replacing them at least four times compared to the life of a street or all season tire

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
JimC said:
If you are planning to drive on drag tires every day there are some things to be aware of.

NEVER get caught in the rain. While drag radials are street legal they have no grip in the rain. Once they let loose it is over. You won't recover it.

And because they are such a soft compound you won't get many miles on them. If you are lucky you may get 5,000 street miles on them.

So if you are doing it to save cost, factor in replacing them at least four times compared to the life of a street or all season tire
++this^
Good advice right here!

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Your best bet is buy an extra pair of wheels and mount some drag radials on them for track use. I'm currently running 26x10 m/t et streets. I'd recommend a 28" tall tire depending on your gearing.

One thing to keep in mind is you tend to break more parts with more traction. I was able to cut 1.6 60' times on the et street radial launching around 4k

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JimC said:

I was thinking that too. I ride my motorcycle 85% of the time. My car is my toy :)

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

What are the biggest I can mount without spacers?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I was thinking that too. I ride my motorcycle 85% of the time. My car is my toy :)

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

What are the biggest I can mount without spacers?
18x10s fit the rear with no mods. 15x8 fits as well, but 15x10s need swaybar relocation brackets. What tires fit on those wheels will vary by manufacturer.

Also, you may want to head over to the Wheels and Tires section, there is a lot of info over there on this topic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts