Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is somebody living in north ?

Actually I'm doing some shopping for snow tires.

I bought four 15" stock Mustang 2000 wheels (my car is equipped with 16") because a friend of mine who owns a Mustang told me that the 15" will be narrower and will be better in snow. (205/65-15 instead of 225/55-16)
My question is:
Is somebody can suggest me some good tires for traction in snow and ice but with a good tread wear (those rubber are so "soft" usually after 2 winters season they look more like slicks then tires !!!

Thanks in advance

BP :confused:

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I live in Florida, so i don't do much snow driving;) Ive heard some good things about Pirellis and Bridgestones snow tires though. Might wanna check www.tirerack.com they have reviews on tires there....I know some places alow studded tires, you might wanna check into that. and yeah a narrower tire will do better in snow, it won't "float" near as much as a wider tire, so it will dig down and bite at the road better.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
the reason they started the traction control crap was for people up north that had issues....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't get traction control neither for tlock.

I consider those options unnecessary, I drove different types of cars (including Fairlane GTA 1967, 1969 Road runner, 1973 Plymouth Duster those darn cars were as funny to drive in summer season as horrible in 4 to 6 inches of snow wich is usual up here) without that kind of options.

I never got an an accident during those 36 past winters in Quebec, Canada. I just got good snow tires. That's why I was asking if somebody else knew a good snow tires with a good tread life.

BP

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
We don't get much snow in AL either. Once every couple of winters, probably. Try ET Streets and skinnies.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
shahrum got some snow tires i cant remember them off the top of my head but ill post when i figure out what he got.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
tires wont help ya much on ice, but really anytire will work in snow, its how you drive.... we have all 4 seasons here in indy, 100*+ summers, -20* temps in winter, with foot or more of snow... just drive safe,

·
Registered
251 Posts
i had bf goodrich winter sloloms on my car last winter on the same wheels you were talkin about and it actually went through the snow pretty damn well. IDK about ice though. everything sux on ice.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
steedav6builder said:
i had bf goodrich winter sloloms on my car last winter on the same wheels you were talkin about and it actually went through the snow pretty damn well. IDK about ice though. everything sux on ice.
lol nothings good on ice, my dad sells a european tire called nokian, the things frickin own in the winter, they test them out in the mountains in finland i think it is, i dont know if they have any for a mustang but its worth a try if you have any nokian dealers by you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx everybody,

I've never heard about the nokian but I"ll check in my area, if I can't find I'll go for the B.F.G. There's a guy around here who can sell me the slalom for a very good price !

B.P.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts