Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is the day I tear my front end to pieces to replace it. Here are pictures for your viewing pleasure or displeasure. The hole is where a trailer hitch went in. Also I plasti dipped my lower grille and it came out nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
that looks rough, do you plan on straightening out the metal bumper frame

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
What is the estimate from the body shop? I take it the other vehicle didn't have much damage.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NewMtang said:
What is the estimate from the body shop? I take it the other vehicle didn't have much damage.
I am the body shop lol I hit my own dads 4x4. His truck just had a scuffed license plate. I got a mouth full of trailer hitch and ball. Why report it to insurance when it will just go up but won't cover the damages. Smart red neck, I am :)

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

gregtommy said:
that looks rough, do you plan on straightening out the metal bumper frame
Come along and a tree and/or truck. Ill probably cry seeing that happen but it has to happen in order to get it all lined up. This was @10-15 mph....imagine a 45-50 hit.

I've been riding with duck tape on my bumper for about 2 months now. I finally got the money for the parts just waiting on Monday so I can pick them up from my stealership.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I am the body shop lol I hit my own dads 4x4. His truck just had a scuffed license plate. I got a mouth full of trailer hitch and ball. Why report it to insurance when it will just go up but won't cover the damages. Smart red neck, I am :)

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Come along and a tree and/or truck. Ill probably cry seeing that happen but it has to happen in order to get it all lined up. This was @10-15 mph....imagine a 45-50 hit.

I've been riding with duck tape on my bumper for about 2 months now. I finally got the money for the parts just waiting on Monday so I can pick them up from my stealership.

That way may work otherwise you could try a sledge and a 4x4 block of wood. The metal piece is unfortunately welded on otherwise i would say take it off attach it to a vice and beat the hell out of it

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd give it next week for sure. The main thing to focus on now is straightening this front frame guard out. Funny, you can buy a new one for $300 at ford. But you can't get it off since its welded inside onto the frame. Ford has nice cars but I'm learning they are building them weirder and weirder.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
exactly no getting that thing off without some serious cutting haha

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I even tried heating it up, but because it had little ridges in it you have to get it to almost melt to do anything. It's a brute force thing on what seems like a fragile car. Sigh -_-

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
yeah, well you could always try hooking up a snap strap from the truck to your car and try ripping it off lol

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It'll probably rip the truck lol it's on there pretty tight. Worse case scenario is I'll just have to bold the foam pad on with the frame bent. Or a cracked windshield from the come along. Or another dent. Or a scratch in the paint. Or it could just say screw life and go boom lol

Jk but I feel it'll come out. Strength tests :)

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
lmao...yeah it should work out, give it enough of the hammer and enough physical aggregation and you can make it look decent again. I just had a visual of the metal piece snapping off the car and impaling itself into the tailgate of the truck. Couldn't stop laughing

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gregtommy said:
lmao...yeah it should work out, give it enough of the hammer and enough physical aggregation and you can make it look decent again. I just had a visual of the metal piece snapping off the car and impaling itself into the tailgate of the truck. Couldn't stop laughing
That would be hilarious! Cause the car will be tied to a tree and it just POPS and hits the truck XD plus it's behind the bumper, it's more honesty an peace of mind for the metal since its going to be covered anyway

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
yeah want to keep the integrity of the metal high so straightening it back out would be the best bet although either way it will take a beating.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Idk if ten mph is a beating, but hey, these cars aren't in the fifties anymore. I'll update This thread today of how strong this sob is

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: we scotched the wheels in one of our garage bays. And put the come along between the piece of bent frame and a trailer hitch and loosened the slack. It kinda helped already. We cranked it and it popped right out. There is still a hole where we couldn't beat out with a hammer and a torch but it's good enough for me at this point.

Bumper and all the components are back on the car now as I have class Monday and I'll be swinging by the stealership tomorrow afternoon.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Whitelightning said:
Update: we scotched the wheels in one of our garage bays. And put the come along between the piece of bent frame and a trailer hitch and loosened the slack. It kinda helped already. We cranked it and it popped right out. There is still a hole where we couldn't beat out with a hammer and a torch but it's good enough for me at this point.

Bumper and all the components are back on the car now as I have class Monday and I'll be swinging by the stealership tomorrow afternoon.
Looks better then when you started good job

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The body shop wanted $300 and a week without my Bessy, ha I did this for free and it only took 1 hour of my time. This is why I'm going to major in mechanical engineering. To get ish done :)

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Whitelightning said:
The body shop wanted $300 and a week without my Bessy, ha I did this for free and it only took 1 hour of my time. This is why I'm going to major in mechanical engineering. To get ish done :)
Good deal! Must be nice to have a good garage to work in! Wish I did..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts