Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And we see what the results are. On pump gas they can't push anymore than in the 350whp range, and then they choke up any higher than 6k rpm. So what about using aftermarket EB turbos? The innards are milled out for larger turbine wheels so they flow much better. I know they're not as cost effective at $2500 plus another $800 for the super six motor sport kit, but the available supercharger kits are still 6 grand.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
Thoughts=sell and buy a 5.0 or an older GT500 or Terminator.

*Puts on flame suit*

Reactions: hfca

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I have a hard time believing those cars can really only get 350 whp? The 3.7 breathes very well, so those turbos would have to be incredibly small to already be out of the efficiency range at 350 wheel...

If that really is the case, its probably going to be cheaper and easier to just go with a dedicated turbo kit like the JMP for example.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Put yours back to stock, sell it, buy a 5.0 GHIG and put all your stuff back on.

*tightens flame suit*
I am glad that others weighed in first like the above.....as I did not want to be the first to possibly sidetrack this thread.....BUT....I do not understand wanting to get your V6 to 400+ complicated and (possibly) troublesome HP, and investing unretreivable many thousands of $$ while trying to do so.
The solution to the problem is simply too obvious, I guess.

"Nomex applied and zipped"......

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Nothing complex about a Procharger........
Think about it, depending on his finance terms when he bought the car he might owe lets say 5k hypothetically, he then sells it for what 13k, again hypothetically, which leaves him like 7k to put down on a new, if he doesn't want used, what 35k GT USD? A difference of around 28k to pay and he has a stock GT that he surely will mod (even more money.)
8k for something like a Procharger that can be bolted on in a weekend and give you roughly 475 is a sweet proposition, especially if his car has been problem free so far. Just my 2cents.
Btw the same can be said about someone wanting more than 500hp out of a 5oh....

LG G4

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I suggest folks do this for the Love of Modding....Not because it's always the cheapest/easiest.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,208 Posts
I don't understand why people throw so much money at V6's or Ecoboost 4's TBH. The cost is insane on any platform, but with the 4's and 6's, you pretty much blow up the MPG gains over a V8. Plus, 99% of these owners do exterior mods where besides the badge, look exactly the same as a GT. So, why do this? If you want more power, why not start with the best power platform? I just don't get it lol. and, I am NOT a V6 or 4 banger hater. I'm just talking with the really expensive power mods, like adding turbos and superchargers, or the completely stupid...engine swapping.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Nothing complex about a Procharger........

True....but when I say (possibly) troublesome, I mean trying to make 150 to 200% of the stock HP with stuff bolted on the outside of an engine with non forged internals. The V6 does, or does not have forged internals (......like the new 5.0 does?)

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Whenever your adding big power to any stock motor there are always risks involved. You always have to look at it like it could fail and be prepared to fork over the $$$ to replace it.
If anyone is expecting 100% trouble free 150-250 extra hp on a stock motor they might get a *****ty surprise one day.
The 5oh is a great engine but there are still risks, likewise of the 3.7.

LG G4

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I don't understand why people throw so much money at V6's or Ecoboost 4's TBH. The cost is insane on any platform, but with the 4's and 6's, you pretty much blow up the MPG gains over a V8. Plus, 99% of these owners do exterior mods where besides the badge, look exactly the same as a GT. So, why do this? If you want more power, why not start with the best power platform? I just don't get it lol. and, I am NOT a V6 or 4 banger hater. I'm just talking with the really expensive power mods, like adding turbos and superchargers, or the completely stupid...engine swapping.
Serious question for the sake of perspective, not talking smack:

Did you mod your mach 1?

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Come on guys, this is hot rodding in its' simplest form...take a motor and mod it as far as you can. Kind of like taking an 85hp Ford flathead, spending $12k to make 315hp, taking a single carb'd 408 and making 650hp or 300hp+ 2.3l with a Esslinger mod'd head some 25 years ago...everyone should do this once in their life or put it on their bucket list. It's fun, frustrating, expensive and may or may not blowup in your face...IMHO

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Thumbs up for Mister olerodder,
Come on guys, this is hot rodding in its' simplest form
Ronnie

Reactions: olerodder

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Thumbs up for Mister olerodder,
:thumb::thumb:....that's true, as after all is said and done (and typically, there is more said than done...:popcorn:) it's his money and his car.....we should just try to answer his question. I know I tried for several days not to respond to this thread,,,,:whistling:

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Come on guys, this is hot rodding in its' simplest form...take a motor and mod it as far as you can. Kind of like taking an 85hp Ford flathead, spending $12k to make 315hp, taking a single carb'd 408 and making 650hp or 300hp+ 2.3l with a Esslinger mod'd head some 25 years ago...everyone should do this once in their life or put it on their bucket list. It's fun, frustrating, expensive and may or may not blowup in your face...IMHO
Well said!?

LG G4

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I have a hard time believing those cars can really only get 350 whp? The 3.7 breathes very well, so those turbos would have to be incredibly small to already be out of the efficiency range at 350 wheel...

If that really is the case, its probably going to be cheaper and easier to just go with a dedicated turbo kit like the JMP for example.

That's the problem, the engine breaths too good and revs too high for stock EB turbos. That was my concern when the guy with the 2015 3.7 came up with the idea and went through with it, and it turned true during the dyno runs. The 3.5's head design, flow rates, shorter rpm range and smaller displacement is tailored to the stock turbos, or the other way around... That 2015 3.7 was only able to break 400whp by using E85.

That's why I'm bringing up the use of upgraded EB turbos for retaining this concept because 1: It'll be very stealthy when just putting around, no obvious supercharger noise, and 2: Gobs of available torque starting as low as 2k rpm, way more than what the 5.0 can produce.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I try to stay out of these, but Jesus we can sit there and ask why you are modding your V8, why didn't you get a GT500 or Terminator. The V8 Vs V6 or I4 battles are both foolish and childish, we all drive Mustangs and we all got our car to do what we wanted, no need to meet your Expectations or ask for your opinion to mod my car.

Reactions: ronnie948

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
I try to stay out of these, but Jesus we can sit there and ask why you are modding your V8, why didn't you get a GT500 or Terminator. The V8 Vs V6 or I4 battles are both foolish and childish, we all drive Mustangs and we all got our car to do what we wanted, no need to meet your Expectations or ask for your opinion to mod my car.
I think the obnoxious Gt owner answer is "GT 500s are just dyno queens." lol.
I think olerodder said it best.

LG G4

1 - 20 of 81 Posts