Mustang Evolution Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
lower compression in an N/A motor will kill response, but for a non DI boosted motor the pay off of lowering the compression an allowing more air to enter the cylinder is much greater. in its current form the 3.7 at 11:1 compression can only handle a max boost of 8 psi before detonation destroys any possible gains, e85 can help push it to 10 psi but if we were to drop the compression to 8.5 or 9 we could run 18 - 20 psi. 1 compression point is worth about 3% power and each psi of boost you add give 3.8%, by dropping from 11 to 8.5 - 9 we will see about a 10% power loss, but with boost up to 20 psi we will gain we are looking at around 467 hp, out of the 300 hp 3.7. those are above 5.0 numbers, so compression in a static sense ( Natural asparation) lowering compression is not a great thing, but when we are talking boost (cramming more air into the same space) allowing us to push more air in to the cylinder will create more power.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Sorry, but it doesnt work like that. 1 psi is not a measure of airflow (and therefore, power) because every single possible compressor (different superchargers and turbos) will have a different CFM associated with "1 psi." There may be some situation where the information you have stated is true, but for the most part it wont be.

Again, with a sophisticated VVT motor, 10.5 compression is nothing. Hell, half the factory boosted cars coming out now are running 9.5-10+.

·
Super Moderator
18,055 Posts
Wtf information recycling like crazy there... lmao. Also bad information recycling...

·
Registered
5 Posts
that is due to the boosted motors using direct injection which the 3.7 is not. VVT is a great feature but it just adjusts the cam timing, and bleeding off compression is a loss of power in itself. at 10 psi of boost in a 10:1 static motor you are looking at a compression close to 17:1 which is why they went to e85 to stave off detonation.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
No. Static compression ratio is the highest the compression can ever be because it is a ratio of volumes. VVT allows you to adjust the dynamic compression ratio, but dynamic will still always be lower than static.
Advancing the intake cam at low rpms (below peak torque) increases the dynamic compression ratio and will increase spool, and tuning in overlap at or above peak torque lowers the dynamic compression ratio during the compression stroke. It's literally no different than having a lower static compression in that situation. It's actually possible to LOSE power on big NA builds if you have a high overlap cam and dont increase the compression because you'll bleed off your entire compression stroke.

You may be talking about boost impacting cylinder pressure, which it absolutely does, but boost does not change the compression ratio.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Not even reading through all of this... But as much as I wanted the eb turbo swap to work it just doesnt. As far as upgraded turbos the same problem will still exist. Look at the port size of the exhaust manifold. Its the size of quarter. Get properly sized exhaust manifolds for a turbo setup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not even reading through all of this... But as much as I wanted the eb turbo swap to work it just doesnt. As far as upgraded turbos the same problem will still exist. Look at the port size of the exhaust manifold. Its the size of quarter. Get properly sized exhaust manifolds for a turbo setup.
EB turbos are not a good option for the 3.7, they don't put out that much power and it wouldn't be cost effective. If you are looking to boost your 3.7, I highly suggest JM Performance. Jack the owner makes some great quality kits for a price you can't beat anywhere else. Plus the power his kits put down, can beat any other competitor.

·
Super Moderator
18,055 Posts
Good low mileage/condition 11-17 V6 plus any power adder... even the JMP stuff is going to be in the same price range as a Coyote of the same year/same condition. Pick your poison.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For me going the turbo route was the best option instead of trading in. I plan to keep the turbo then down the road engine swap my mustang. I put too much into it already and I would lose a lot for just selling it and buying a 5.0. If someone wants to mod their v6 and it's stock, then yes I would agree in selling it and then modding a 5.0

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
EB turbos are not a good option for the 3.7, they don't put out that much power and it wouldn't be cost effective. If you are looking to boost your 3.7, I highly suggest JM Performance. Jack the owner makes some great quality kits for a price you can't beat anywhere else. Plus the power his kits put down, can beat any other competitor.
The stock Ecoboost turbo is good for 525rwhp @ 35psi and requires a large intercooler!

Go to YouTube and type in ( Lund Racing Ecoboost) he runs an 11.03et @ 121mph using the stock turbo! IMG_20171107_161833.jpg

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
It shows 11.03et @ 121mph!

Use a 1/⁴ mile calculator, the standard weight for an Ecoboost is 3800lbs!

You can also get HP, from the trap speed!
Not quite. Curb weight for the ecoboost mustang is 3500 and that guy has a dumped exhaust (~70-80 lbs) and light weight rims, which probably offsets the weight of the driver, so total vehicle weight is probably still around 3500.

1/4 calculators also factor crank HP, not wheel HP.

3500 lbs and 121 mph = about 470 at the crank, or about 390 at the wheels... nowhere near 525. I promise you, i have been tuning turbo cars for years, 525 on the stock turbo is 100% impossible.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts