Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new owner of a 98 GT it has a flowmaster exhaust which I would like to make louder eventually other then that it's stock. But what are some good mods to start out with. Any advice ?

·
Premium Member
8,080 Posts
On my previous 2 mustangs I've had x pipes and really like them. H pipes are more deep and throaty like old school muscle sound, x is more louder and raspy like NASCAR type sound. It's all in personal preference, look up exhaust threads in the search forum and you will find plenty of info there. Also search up exhaust sounds in YouTube.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Best mod you could do to your car is a PI swap. The swap changes your head/intake/cam to the 99-04 GT equipment which gives you anywhere between 40-50 hp for around $1300. This is a good investment for your cars performance because without the PI swap you can spend the same amount of money in mods and not come anywhere near 40 or 50 hp. Also once the swap is done all future bolt ons will be worth more power. However if you dont have the coin other bolt ons like JLT intake pipe, Accufab or BBK TB/plenum, under drive pulleys from UPR, exhuast mods, gears, lightweight drive shafts are all good mods to look at until you can afford the PI swap. Swaping rear gears will be your single largest performance increase for one bolt on, 373's for manual and 410s for auto. If you would like to plan out your cars performance I can help you with such a task.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The 3.73s gears are going to be your best performing bolt on for your manual GT. You will still be able to drive down the highway in 5th gear no problem.

MSD has good performance mods for your car as well. However you wont realize very good gains, if any noticable gain, without other mods to support your ignition mods.

·
Registered
555 Posts
:lmao: I love you BackPressure. No **** though..

Yes 4.10s could be used on his manual car but going with 3.73s keep options open to go boosted or nitrous injected without having to change gears again. Remember we dont like to spend money on the same part twice. Also with 3.73s you can even build high N/A power without spending extra coin for traction mods you would need to fully manipulate the 4.10 ratio on street tires. The 3.73s are the optimum gear option for his mid weight manual FOX-4 mustang. If it was a heavier manual S197 mustang I would say 4.10s due to the car needing the extra gear to help the car out of the hole but thats just not the case with the FOX4 manual GT's. Also if he was planning to run at the track with slicks and never put on a power adder I would say 4.10s but not for a street stang.

So my recomendation of 3.73s stands. :) P.S. Dont hack up your car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's not a fox it's actually a 98. and what do you mean don't hack my car up

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

I no my screen name says 88 that was my bad I meant to put 98 but I guess you can't change it lol sorry

·
Registered
555 Posts
You car is a SN-95 also less known as a FOX4, not many refer to their 94-04 mustangs as FOX4s but it is still technically correct terminology.

BackPressure was recommending you cut off your rear cats and I was trying to tell you not to do that. Save your energy and wait until you get an aftermarket exhuast mid pipe.

·
Registered
704 Posts
You car is a SN-95 also less known as a FOX4, not many refer to their 94-04 mustangs as FOX4s but it is still technically correct terminology.

BackPressure was recommending you cut off your rear cats and I was trying to tell you not to do that. Save your energy and wait until you get an aftermarket exhuast mid pipe.
Hey now. I hacked off my cats because I'm poor.
I'm studying medicine too, I gotta practice chopping up something. Can't just go hacking up people in the OR without some practice.

·
Registered
555 Posts
LOL. True, very true. If he was desparate for more power and had no money he could hack off his rear cats himself. However I did try running no axle back on my 06GT and it did add power but the large loss in throttle responce actually ended up hurting my performance and I ended up putting the factory axle back back on anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh ok never knew that about the fox4 anyway I don't think I can legally chop off my cats where I live here in Pennsylvania I like the o/r h setup anyway I think that will be good enough

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you are able to put a Prochamber exhaust on I would, I love the way my 02 sounds with it. It has a classic muscle car sound with little rasp. It might be a little more expensive but its worth it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts