Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

driving a 2001 V6 auto. It runs great but as a pinging sound in first gear in the rpms before switching to second. It does not really bother, and has been like this for almost 2 years since I got it (used). I just want to know if this is a concern or a normal sound engine... I used to have a Ford Ka that had the same noise (look at http://www.ford-ka.net/ if you want to see that cutie, not sold in US. Great little car for approx. $7k in europe !!).
Thank you for bearing with car-dummy...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm glad to hear that. I'm not too picky about engine sounds, as long as performance is there and it does not mean any failure. I'd just like to know if someone has found where that comes from, and if it can be a problem. I find it interesting though that it does happen only in first gear. My old car used to have a similar sound in all gears at high RPMs, but that was after a trip at ~ 100mph for a car that is not suppose to attain that speed ;)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
If the noise is actually a ping or spark knock noise, no, its never normal, and its usually caused by carbon build up in an engine or too little octane in fuel. Cure? use higher octane fuel, blow out the carbon.

·
11,873 Posts
yea you would. Is it loud are is it just a faint pinging? Next time you fill up use 93 or whatever you have at your location and see if that makes it stop.

Corey how can he tell if it is the PVC Valve fluttering?

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Pull the PVC out of the valve cover the vacume leak will make you car stumble and want to die. Just put your thumb over the end of the PVC and it should stop ticking if it does not keep looking

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is rather faint and actually almost inaudible when the engine is cold.
I already tried switching to higher octane but it did not make any change.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's always hard to described these sounds... I used to put a piece of cardboard on my bike frame, touching the weells when I was a kid... you know, to simulate an engine sound... It sound a bit like it. It's a rather high-pitched noise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your replies.

I appears to be a common sound for the 99+ V6. According to
Ford it comes from the exhaust valves...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts