Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I purchased a used set of weld pro-star drag wheels 15" x 10", but they don't quite clear the calipers on my 12' GT I was wondering how I figure out what size spacer I need so I can use them at the strip next time I go.

·
Premium Member
19,573 Posts
I'm gonna recommend against any spacer on rear drag wheels. If you must, be prepared to spend $250-300 for a quality set plus new studs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What quality spacer would u suggest? Also why do u recommend against spacers?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can anyone answer my questions?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Can anyone answer my questions?
i disagree with LOWFLY. A dude on the mach 1 forum is running spacers at the rear and hes puttin down over 500 rwhp and hasnt had any problems. I would think a small 5mm hubcentric spacer would be perfect for ya. I would assume your clearance issue is minimal and these spacers usually do the trick.

5/16" wheel spacers for FI Mach with 10.5" rears - 2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

As for the spacers I mentioned here they are

2 5mm Hubcentric Wheel Spacers 5x114 3 70 5 Hub Ford Lincoln Mercury Adapters | eBay

Good luck

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If i went with a 5mm spacer will i need to get longer studs?

·
Premium Member
19,573 Posts
I recommend against spacers because they put stress further out on your studs, hub and bearings.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Spacer put added stress on studs due to the length and the hub due to it possibilty of not being hubcentric. Not being hubcentric can also cause wobble or wicked vibration on a wheel because its not balanced true to the wheel, it dont always happen but it has. The solution is longer studs like ARP race studs and a true hubcentric spacer. The best solution is a new wheel with proper offset of backspacing. The wheel is machined to pose as the spacers assisted space but doesnt use anymore stud than a normal wheel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
To help figure the size of spacer, use a hand full of washers as shims to gage what it will take to get the clearance. Then remove the wheel measure the thickness of the washers and you have the thickness. Add that thickness to the stock studs to get the new stud length.

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

Ok so I purchased a used set of weld pro-star drag wheels 15" x 10", but they don't quite clear the calipers on my 12' GT I was wondering how I figure out what size spacer I need so I can use them at the strip next time I go.
To help figure the size of spacer, use a hand full of washers as shims to gage what it will take to get the clearance. Then remove the wheel measure the thickness of the washers and you have the thickness. Add that thickness to the stock studs to get the new stud length.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I put the small spacers on my 2012 GT rear stock rims and had problems. I ended up with problems with the threads on the wheel studs along w/ some minor balance problems because they are not hubcentric... I'm not suggesting this, but I'll raise an idea and question that might help your situation; Can you slightly modify the back side of the rim to create clearance?

·
Registered
50 Posts
A spacer too thick can cause issues for sure and worse case makn it non hubcentric which IMO should always be avoided. But to say a conservstive 5mm spacer is harmful is taking things a lil to far. Let me ask u this, if someone gets new wheels with smaller offsets tht causes wheels to stick out 5mm more than the stockers is this any worse than using stock wheels w 5mm hubcentric spacers? Just curious

·
Super Moderator
18,074 Posts
You need to make sure any spacer is hubcentric and make sure you get enough thread engagement on your lug nuts regardless of what spacer you run. Best practice is to press in longer ARP studs and then run the hubcentric spacer you need.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts