Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So got the spark plug replaced in my car. And less than 12 hours later I have a misfire, on cylinder 6. So the shop says it is a dropped valve. My friend that works on Chevy and Fords says it's a blowout from them not putting it in right. So he is saying fix the plug threads and get a new plug or use the same if it isn't bad. He said if it stays in limp mode like it did today around 11am he said get the computer flashed. What do yall think?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I have never read or heard of a spark plug blowing out of a 3.7l in my life. If you did blow out a spark plug you will be the 'first one' :(

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it wasnt a plug blowout, you would be leaning towards a dropped valve after I got my tune up done from a shop? That's what doesnt make sense after I got the tune up done it just drops a valve within 30 miles of the tune up.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
They also said it completely failed the compression test in the cylinder or valve test
They were able to completely thread a compression tester into the threads on #6? If that is the case, and your engine still showed no compression in that cylinder, then you have internal problems bigger than popping out a plug.....

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Have you actually looked at the plug and the spark plug hole? If it "blew out", the threads would be stripped and they would not be able to do a compression check without first re-threading the hole. You said you "got the spark plug changed" (singular), meaning only one plug and it was the plug that "blew out"? The same shop then diagnosed a dropped valve from a spark plug being blown out? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
151 Posts
There’s something fishy going on. Do you have an Autozone close? If I were you I would rent a compression tester and test out cylinder 6 myself or at least take it to a different shop for a second opinion.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I took it to another shop and they started it and he said but the sound of it, he said it was something else dealing with the valve springs the risers is what I believe he said

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay here's what is going on: first thing first is I didnt drive to the other shop I had it towed there.

The spark plug threads are fine for the cylinder 6, but the spark plug gap is at .024 instead of .050. I have a cracked piston and some scarring in the cylinder wall all on the 6th cylinder. The spark plugs are also way over tighten not at factory specifications. The shop I took it to says it's around 40-50 lbs torque on the spark plugs for 4 5 and 6. Causing the plug to start a brown ring around where the boot of the plug goes, meaning a leak was present. They said I would need a new engine. He also stated there is something going on with the lifters on cylinder 6 not sure if it's the exhaust valve or intake valve, or if it's even bent

If yall would like to see the spark plugs I have a KIK or snapchat and I can show you the plugs from cylinder 4 5 and 6. I might try and post the pics from my phone through the app, on my old phone

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Sounds like someone dropped something down the spark plug hole :(

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what I'm thinking too or that spark plug not being gapped correctly will cause a cracked piston as well

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just had my spark plugs change by a dealership (long story but it was free) and my car is now misfiring on #6. Is #6 the back driver side or back passenger side? The tech came to my house (50 miles away) and was looking at the back driver side. I thought I looked before and it said it was the back passenger side. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I just had my spark plugs change by a dealership (long story but it was free) and my car is now misfiring on #6. Is #6 the back driver side or back passenger side? The tech came to my house (50 miles away) and was looking at the back driver side. I thought I looked before and it said it was the back passenger side. Thanks for any help!
Should have started your own thread, but anyway, if the "tech" can't figure it out, send him on his way and ask them to send someone that knows what they are doing. You can google the firing order.....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Should have started your own thread, but anyway, if the "tech" can't figure it out, send him on his way and ask them to send someone that knows what they are doing. You can google the firing order.....
How is this not on topic? The OP had someone put in spark plugs, got a misfire and it was cylinder 6. I had someone put in spark plugs, got a misfire and it was cylinder 6. I just asked where cylinder 6 was because I thought it was on the passenger side. If it was, I was going to tell the service manager to put someone different on the car. I'm now worried that I might have a cracked piston or something because it's sounding like what happened to the OP.

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
How is this not on topic? The OP had someone put in spark plugs, got a misfire and it was cylinder 6. I had someone put in spark plugs, got a misfire and it was cylinder 6. I just asked where cylinder 6 was because I thought it was on the passenger side. If it was, I was going to tell the service manager to put someone different on the car. I'm now worried that I might have a cracked piston or something because it's sounding like what happened to the OP.
Cylinder #6 is on the driver's side, nearest to the firewall.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts