Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna get some spark plugs soon and wondering if I should get the autolite platinum or double platinum plugs or the Bosch platinum plugs for my 95 gt.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
fordracing63857 said:
Gonna get some spark plugs soon and wondering if I should get the autolite platinum or double platinum plugs or the Bosch platinum plugs for my 95 gt.....
Get oem motor craft don't go aftermarket
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,779 Posts
Gonna get some spark plugs soon and wondering if I should get the autolite platinum or double platinum plugs or the Bosch platinum plugs for my 95 gt.....
For most performance usage I would use the plain old Autolite copper core plugs.
For long life street car use the platinum plugs are ok too, but do not use platinum plugs if using nitrous oxide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
I'm using the NGK iridiums which are 60k plugs on a 95gt and I've had no problems. They are pretty expensive tho. What's the benefits of using the oem type plugs? I've heard to stay with them from everyone it seems.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,779 Posts
I'm using the NGK iridiums which are 60k plugs on a 95gt and I've had no problems. They are pretty expensive tho. What's the benefits of using the oem type plugs? I've heard to stay with them from everyone it seems.
You pretty much answered your own question.
They are pretty expensive tho.

That's the main reason. Spark plugs are one of those things that you can spend as much or as little as you want. I personally like the fine tipped iridium plugs, but I won't use them until I really need them after installing my SC and tuning the engine. They are just to expensive otherwise and don't benefit the engine enough to warrant the extra cost.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,779 Posts
Just curious what is Denso?
I would just use autolites. Most spark plugs are just gimmicks.
Denso: Is that person who is so thickheaded that you cannot ever get through to them. :lol:




Really they make ignition products including regular and iridium spark plugs. ;)


DENSO at JEGS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
Trojan Horse said:
For most performance usage I would use the plain old Autolite copper core plugs.
For long life street car use the platinum plugs are ok too, but do not use platinum plugs if using nitrous oxide.
Why can I not use platinum plugs with nitrous?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,779 Posts
Why can I not use platinum plugs with nitrous?
According to an article I read some time ago it has something to do with the nitrous effect on the platinum spark plug coating and back then the ability to find the correct heat range in a platinum plug. They are also said to fire hotter and be less effective at transferring the spark than a copper core plug. Hotter is bad when running nitrous and you need all the ignition energy you can get to fire the mixture.


Nitrous Express also says this in their instructions:
Do not use platinum tipped spark plugs, the spark kernel is to small for
nitrous usage and cannot ignite the mixture at the cylinder pressures that nitrous creates.

You can read it here - Nitrous Express Instructions


Once you find the heat range you need using inexpensive plugs, switching to a fine tipped iridium plug may be beneficial. That's my plan for the SC installation and tuning. :good:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
Trojan Horse said:
According to an article I read some time ago it has something to do with the nitrous effect on the platinum spark plug coating and back then the ability to find the correct heat range in a platinum plug. They are also said to fire hotter and be less effective at transferring the spark than a copper core plug. Hotter is bad when running nitrous and you need all the ignition energy you can get to fire the mixture.

Nitrous Express also says this in their instructions:

You can read it here - Nitrous Express Instructions

Once you find the heat range you need using inexpensive plugs, switching to a fine tipped iridium plug may be beneficial. That's my plan for the SC installation and tuning. :good:
Didn't know this thanks!
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top