Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MSD Ignition said:
Dear Sir;
At this time, we do not make a wire set for your application. Hopefully, we should have something in the near future.

Thank You,
MSD Tech
They said they don't make a wire set for 2002 V6 mustangs. They make a wire set for 99-00s. Is this not compatible? Anybody know?

·
Registered
941 Posts
there is absolutely no reason why a set of 8.5mm wires wont fit yours fine. i would like to know why you got that response. perhaps the brands i have been seeing are not MSD though MSD makes the most and largest variety of electrical aftermarket. wierd.

austin

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Don't quote me on this but there are no electrical differances from 99-04 that I am aware of. The spark plug wires from an earlier model should work just fine. Sometimes when I company doesn't actually try something for itself, it doesn't advertise it. So maybe your company tried the wires on a 99 and 2000, but not on anymore recent years. Because if they did fit but blew up your car, they would be responsible. Make sense?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
there may not be any electrical differences, but the electronic distributer may be in a different location thus making different length wires needed.

·
Banned
321 Posts
Its time to change my spark plugs and wires... I am looking for some 8.5mm wires, and noticed that MSD doesnt list a set for the 2003 3.8... I also noticed there was debate here on whether the other kit would fit or not, has anyone figured this one out yet?

·
Registered
349 Posts
My friend has MSD ignition wires that he wants to sell to me out of his 2003 manual 3.8L Mustang to my 2004 auto 3.9L Mustang. He wants 30 bucks. I thought they fit with no problem but now that I saw this thread I'll check the box out for model number and check back with you guys tomorrow.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Also, would these ignition wires make a difference in my cars performance at all, if so, how is it felt on the road?

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
wires are worthless only reason to upgrade is the price is about the same as oem stockers, have you checked jacobs see if they have wires?

·
Banned
321 Posts
Yes I have checked Jacobs, they give the same model yrs as all the other companies. I guess I will just buy a set and see if they work and then post my findings.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My friend has MSD ignition wires that he wants to sell to me out of his 2003 manual 3.8L Mustang to my 2004 auto 3.9L Mustang. He wants 30 bucks. I thought they fit with no problem but now that I saw this thread I'll check the box out for model number and check back with you guys tomorrow. Also, would these ignition wires make a difference in my cars performance at all, if so, how is it felt on the road?

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
megax29 said:
My friend has MSD ignition wires that he wants to sell to me out of his 2003 manual 3.8L Mustang to my 2004 auto 3.9L Mustang. He wants 30 bucks. I thought they fit with no problem but now that I saw this thread I'll check the box out for model number and check back with you guys tomorrow. Also, would these ignition wires make a difference in my cars performance at all, if so, how is it felt on the road?
You wont feel any difference

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
how often are you supposed to get new plugs/wires?

·
Registered
26 Posts
i bought these custom 10mm wires and they felt horryble, i was told i needed a a biger coil with more voltage cuz the wires are platinum braided. so basicly i wasted 100$ on racing wires that im not using , but when i get a jacobs coil i'll be ready, the cables are cable of 40ohm resistance

·
Registered
47 Posts
wires alow the spark to travel to the plugs with the least amount of resistance (ohms law) as you wont feel a difference the wire assures that suffecent amout of current fires the plug. a weak spark wont ignite all the fuel in the engine and cause less performance and wasted fuel. a good set of wires will have a conductor that offers less resistance and makes it easyer for the current to pass through the wire with out voltage loss (ohms law). as for a better coil pack if you have a hot coil and use stock wires you will only be able to pass as much current as the stock wire can feed to the plugs.Its like stepping on the garden hose, you have the pressure to push the water out but the hose restricts it. You have the voltage and current(current is the push) but the wires are holding things back>

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Wires last a few years and I change plugs every 6 months but a year is OK, unless you are shooting the juice then I would say check your plugs every week and if they seem fine change them every 4 to 6 months.

Also dont buy expensive plugs. Motorcraft or Autolite work best for 3.8's paying anything more than $2.00 a plug is a waste of money

As far as Plug wires get either MSD, Jacobs or original Motorcraft are good. After numerous complaints about the quality of Bosch going down the tube I would steer clear. Bosch quality is getting so bad in their aftermarket parts several car companies have found other vendors.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts