Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after searching on line for a speed shop around here, I found one without even trying. I was driving the back roads and I saw a really small sign that I thought said speed shop. Made a U turn and in fact that's what it said. It was a private road so I turned in. I talked to the owner and told him what I had coming. Said to take the parts in so he would figure out a fair price for both of us. I told him he should advertise or create a web site. He said he has enough work as is just by word of mouth.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Well, after searching on line for a speed shop around here, I found one without even trying. I was driving the back roads and I saw a really small sign that I thought said speed shop. Made a U turn and in fact that's what it said. It was a private road so I turned in. I talked to the owner and told him what I had coming. Said to take the parts in so he would figure out a fair price for both of us. I told him he should advertise or create a web site. He said he has enough work as is just by word of mouth.
Hmm lol no such thing as to much work. What business owner wouldn't want more potential clients especially in an economy like this? Anyways glad you found a shop. I would find some people who got work done there and see what they have to say about it. Goodluck! Oh and what r u or plan on getting done??

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm lol no such thing as to much work. What business owner wouldn't want more potential clients especially in an economy like this? Anyways glad you found a shop. I would find some people who got work done there and see what they have to say about it. Goodluck! Oh and what r u or plan on getting done??
Koni STR.t, FR Springs, FR sway bars, BMR LCA's, relo brackets, UCA and mount, Fays2 Watts link.
I was planning on doing it myself except for the shocks & springs, but my back is not in very good condition (surgery in about a week and a half).

Yeah, he gave me contacts so I could talk to them. I also got a look at his 69 Camaro. I just drooled LOL.

He took early retirement from Ford. They have a plant in Illinois just South of Chicago. He's doing what he likes to do and making some money at the same time.

Oh, he'll also install a set of flush quarter window louvers too.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'd make sure this shop works on mustangs regularly, I was solicited by a guy gm performance guy to do my recent upgrades, he said he was just starting to get into doing mustangs, and hadn't done a watts link yet. He offered me a great price, but in the end I went with my installer who works on mustangs all of the time. I know some think its all just nuts and bolts but to me familiarity with the car goes along way. Needless to say I got my car back today I had Whiteline lca's installed, a uca and bracket, relocation brackets, adjustable sway bars, Whiteline watts link. And I must say I am thoroughly impressed with the install and the performance of this set up its unbelievable how well the car hooks up and handles......

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I'd make sure this shop works on mustangs regularly, I was solicited by a guy gm performance guy to do my recent upgrades, he said he was just starting to get into doing mustangs, and hadn't done a watts link yet. He offered me a great price, but in the end I went with my installer who works on mustangs all of the time. I know some think its all just nuts and bolts but to me familiarity with the car goes along way. Needless to say I got my car back today I had Whiteline lca's installed, a uca and bracket, relocation brackets, adjustable sway bars, Whiteline watts link. And I must say I am thoroughly impressed with the install and the performance of this set up its unbelievable how well the car hooks up and handles......
I can agree with this. I talked to a speed shop around me that does 90% GM cars and listening to them talk about certain installs and how hard and terrible they are on the mustangs made me laugh. Since I've done all my own installs minus the gears i used that as a basis and asked what they charged for those kinds of jobs and when they give crazy prices or act funny about it I know quickly to ignore them. If it was easy for me to do with no prior experience and they stutter? waste of time.

Also helped when I had them do a Dyno run and they ran it in 4th...as a manual where it should have been 5th. Kinda sealed for me I wouldn't let them work on my car ever.

Now since he retired from Ford I bet he will be fine. Hopefully he doesn't give you the BS answer I got from one shop near me apparently run by an ex pro driver, "We don't give time quotes because jobs never are what they seem and it will get done when it gets done." "So you are saying it could take 20 hours to install my suspension?" "yessir we are"

I called them back and let him know I did it in 5 hours my first time ever and his shop was a complete joke :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can agree with this. I talked to a speed shop around me that does 90% GM cars and listening to them talk about certain installs and how hard and terrible they are on the mustangs made me laugh. Since I've done all my own installs minus the gears i used that as a basis and asked what they charged for those kinds of jobs and when they give crazy prices or act funny about it I know quickly to ignore them. If it was easy for me to do with no prior experience and they stutter? waste of time.

Also helped when I had them do a Dyno run and they ran it in 4th...as a manual where it should have been 5th. Kinda sealed for me I wouldn't let them work on my car ever.

Now since he retired from Ford I bet he will be fine. Hopefully he doesn't give you the BS answer I got from one shop near me apparently run by an ex pro driver, "We don't give time quotes because jobs never are what they seem and it will get done when it gets done." "So you are saying it could take 20 hours to install my suspension?" "yessir we are"

I called them back and let him know I did it in 5 hours my first time ever and his shop was a complete joke :D
:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts