Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first mustang and the guy told me the speedo gear was broke. The speedometer doesn't work and i would like some help on how to fix it. Thanks

·
Registered
634 Posts
The speedo gear goes in your trans at the end of the cable. Make sure you know what Rear gears you have they make several different gears for different ratios.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do i find out what gears i have? And i just changed the tranny fluid two days ago. So it's the line that runs right in front of the drive shaft?

·
Registered
634 Posts
It's the cable that runs down from inside your engine compartment. If I remember right its gray in color and goes into the drivers side of the trans, if I remember right it's more in the middle front of the trans. I haven't done one for a couple of years. Ask the guy you got it from if he changed the gears and to what ratio. Latemodelrestoration.com gives you a good gear chart to make sure you pick right.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He says its all stock he only rebuilt the engine and replaced the tranny and when he replaced the dash he said it was the gear behind the speedometer any ideas? Ive been looking online and have no idea what he means

·
Registered
143 Posts
I changed my cable out last summer. Start with a new cable. Id go ahead and buy the correct ratio gear as well for the part that goes into your transmission. You will start by taking off your cluster shroud inside and removing your actual cluster. Its a pain but not too complicated. The cable itself comes with lube instructions from the manufacturer. Run the end in through the firewall and if simply clios onto the back of hour cluster. Then run it underneath the car along the firewall and be sure u keep it from rubbing or touching anything hot. Simply goes I nto the drivers side of the tranny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts