Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and some friends of mine were putting on my springs today and have run into a problem. The back two went on no problem, but the crappy spring compressor we rented from the auto parts store is too short to get the front springs off. Anyone know what I can do? I'm kind of in a bind here :/

·
Registered
598 Posts
Matticus said:
So me and some friends of mine were putting on my springs today and have run into a problem. The back two went on no problem, but the crappy spring compressor we rented from the auto parts store is too short to get the front springs off. Anyone know what I can do? I'm kind of in a bind here :/
Upload a pic of what your working with And I can help

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We got the compressors set as high and as low as we can get them, and they're meeting in the middle now, still can't get the spring out.

Attachments

·
Registered
598 Posts
That will work have your buddy push down with his foot n the control arm and yank it out. Make sure you have the sway bar unhooked and the brake caliper is detached

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mzilla said:
That will work have your buddy push down with his foot n the control arm and yank it out. Make sure you have the sway bar unhooked and the brake caliper is detached
It's still not compressed enough, pic may not accurately show. Called a friend who runs a parts store and he said we need to drop the a arm and take the ball joints out. I went and rented the pickle forks but that'll have to be a job for tomorrow

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
i don't use a spring compressor....just unbolt the shock from the a-arm (2 bolts)...let the a-arm drop...and pull the spring out by hand (use a flat head screwdriver if it's stuck)..then reverse for reinstall...super easy to do

·
Registered
598 Posts
I also have never used a spring compressor. Remove the 2 lower strut to knuckle bolts
Remove the brake caliper
Remove the sway bar bolt
Push down with your foot on the lower control arm and pull the spring out.
This is how I have done this for years

·
Registered
542 Posts
Mzilla said:
I also have never used a spring compressor. Remove the 2 lower strut to knuckle bolts
Remove the brake caliper
Remove the sway bar bolt
Push down with your foot on the lower control arm and pull the spring out.
This is how I have done this for years
+111 super easy to do us right! No need for spring compressor just drop that a arm and your in there!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Yeah. But instead of a screw driver use a big ****ing prybar. The isolator often sticks into the a arm. You definitely need to in bolt the shock.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got it all finished today with new shocks and struts as well. Will post pics tomorrow if I remember lol

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Thanks for the help by the way, we ended up doing what you all said about lowering the a arm and it was much easier

1 - 11 of 11 Posts