Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically i spun a rob bearing,which sucks, and i need some suggestions on what to do next...I have a set of PI heads sitting in the garage that ima install when either i rebuild this block or get a used one.these are pretty much my options (unless someone has something else in mind or my car gets stolen lol)
*rebuild block (replace crank only if necessary)
*buy used block 96-2004 gt(if i do buy a used block should i get 96-98 and run higher compression or 99-04 and run basically a stock pi motor
incase your wondering im doing all the labor so rebuilding block will only cost parts and shipping.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Get a 5.4 for the price of a 4.6 you could have a 5.4 and in the local junkyards you can find 5.4 that are cheaper than mustang 4.6s

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i havent looked in to that but im pretty sure that some custome work might have to be done and i dont think the hoods gonna close

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nothing really custom about it just the intake adapters. I have seen a couple 5.4 swaps and they clear the hood fine the only thing I have seen is they have to remove the hood liner.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what ive been reading ima need the ecu harness and a different hood.my stock hood wont clear it its a few inches too tall,ima just stick to the 4.6 since im on a budget built

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright so ive decided to go ahead and the rip the block out and check for any major damages like cylinder wall and crank if all that is ok ima just go ahead and rebuild this block it only has like 100k on it...if any1 has had a spun rod bearing before what kinda damage am i looking at???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats a great site ive never heard of it b4....ima look around and c if i can find a rebuild kit below 950..cause they have a used 98 gt motor for about that price...thnx for the info

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I was gonna rebuild the engine in my 2000 GT, but I came across a used short block for 500 bucks. I just threw my heads on it and slapped it back in the car. Just an FYI, if you do a PI swap on a Non PI block and raise the compression; you may have to run high octane gas. I've heard people say they never had a problem with 87, but a buddy of mine did it and unless he had 93 it would ping like crazy. Even with the 93 sometimes it would ping pending on the quality of gas. Food for thought. And good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts