Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this Forum and recently bought a 1996 Mustang GT 4.6L with 5- speed. Car has about 125,000 mi. on it. My problem, or at least one of them is a squeeking coming from what sounds like the transmission. It seems to stop when i push in the clutch, and then proceeds to squeek when i let off. Any ideas as i know nothing about transmissions. Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Paul Rowland said:
I am new to this Forum and recently bought a 1996 Mustang GT 4.6L with 5- speed. Car has about 125,000 mi. on it. My problem, or at least one of them is a squeeking coming from what sounds like the transmission. It seems to stop when i push in the clutch, and then proceeds to squeek when i let off. Any ideas as i know nothing about transmissions. Thanks, Paul
Umm, is it like a speaking noise that sounds like something is spinning? Its probably the throwout bearing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is like squeek-squeek squeek etc. as i go down the road. Car is all original and i guess i should replace the whole clutch and all if that is the case. I wish i had investigated this car before i bought it as i am now finding out it has a crapload of recalls. One i am also just finding out about is the cracking Plastic Intakes and i just saw antifreeze puddeling around front left fuel injector. That probably explains the occasional shakey feeling the drivetrain has every now and then. But i wonder if the antifreeze gets into the fuel injector if that will damage the internals of the cylinder?

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
Las0mbra said:
Umm, is it like a speaking noise that sounds like something is spinning? Its probably the throwout bearing.
agreed

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

Paul Rowland said:
Yes, it is like squeek-squeek squeek etc. as i go down the road. Car is all original and i guess i should replace the whole clutch and all if that is the case. I wish i had investigated this car before i bought it as i am now finding out it has a crapload of recalls. One i am also just finding out about is the cracking Plastic Intakes and i just saw antifreeze puddeling around front left fuel injector. That probably explains the occasional shakey feeling the drivetrain has every now and then. But i wonder if the antifreeze gets into the fuel injector if that will damage the internals of the cylinder?
it shouldnt get in there unless your o-ring is bad.but i would get any kind of antifreeze leak fixxed right away!it would be a good time to upgrade to a better clutch if you plan on modding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
agreed

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

it shouldnt get in there unless your o-ring is bad.but i would get any kind of antifreeze leak fixxed right away!it would be a good time to upgrade to a better clutch if you plan on modding.
---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

I was thinking the same thing, but i already have all my money in new Intake Manifold and a rebuilt set of Fuel Injectors (Bosh Type III 4 hole design) and new set of Spark plugs & wires, all still need to put on. I figured i would do it all @ the same time while it is all open. I am waiting for Shop Manual i got on ebay and am all tapped out on cash. Now i need to worry about the Clutch and U-Joints that are clunking... Do you guys know of a decent Clutch Kit that doesn't cost too much...Don't need nothing fancy as all stock, but don't want to buy junk either...Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I'd check out americanmuscle.com the spec stage 1 or 2 and the ram HDX clutches are supposed to be good, read reviews. Also, does your petal kinda flutter when you don't touch it? Mine did that right before the tob failed a month later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, everything feels good with the clutch. It's a little stiff to push as i have a shattered left knee from wreck in the past. Are there ant clutches that might be lighter or easier to push? I have just looked around ebay a little bit but i don't even know what the difference is between Stage1 or Stage2 etc.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just got a 96gt as well and mine squeeks too just like you explained but when I took it to the shop they said it was the inner tie rod ends and my lower ball joints. Ill be replacinf them tomorrow ill let you know if that solves the problem ir not

·
Premium Member
6,003 Posts
Paul Rowland said:
No, everything feels good with the clutch. It's a little stiff to push as i have a shattered left knee from wreck in the past. Are there ant clutches that might be lighter or easier to push? I have just looked around ebay a little bit but i don't even know what the difference is between Stage1 or Stage2 etc.
Just buy a Luk clutch. 90% of the manufacturers use them. That's what dealerships also use.

Stages just let you know haw much HP the clutch will handle. Most stage 1s are good for around 400hp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JDF, I think i will end up getting the LUK Clutch as it is the cheapest i have found, and you say that's what the shops mostly put in so they can't be that bad.

Justintriner, I can't see how inner tie rod ends and my lower ball joints could cause the constant squeeking that mine does, especially when it stops when i push in the Clutch, but still let me know if it helped yours.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Paul Rowland said:
It's the throw out/release bearing. They can go on squeaking for some time before they start screaming and lock up or it could happen in days. The transmission must come out to replace, most replace the clutch at the same time. Often brand new ones will squeak too. The center force bearing is said to be the best for not squeaking, they are about $40.

·
Premium Member
6,003 Posts
Paul Rowland said:
JDF, I think i will end up getting the LUK Clutch as it is the cheapest i have found, and you say that's what the shops mostly put in so they can't be that bad.

Justintriner, I can't see how inner tie rod ends and my lower ball joints could cause the constant squeeking that mine does, especially when it stops when i push in the Clutch, but still let me know if it helped yours.
Sweet. I had a long discussion with a tranny guy I used to work with and he had a very strong argument against getting aftermarket clutches when you won't need them

1 - 12 of 12 Posts