Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...my friend came over this morning so i could show my friend my new exhaust system (GT takeoffs with 40 series flows). anyway, when i went to start the car. i pushed the clutch in and there was this loud squeak comin from the car. i was like WTF. so i let the clutch out and push it in again. same sound. so i had my bro come out and push the clutch in while i listened and there was the same sound. is my throwout bearing starting to go or something, cuz it jsut started doin this this morning, or at least i never noticed it before. also, wut exactly does the throwout bearing do. is this something i should get looked at right away or can i leave it for a little while?

·
Registered
113 Posts
yeah, it sounds like the throwout bearing. does the clutch grab kinda high. it might need adj. how many miles on the clutch? maybe the quadrant won't adj. i bought an adj. cable, installed it and the problem went away for good.

...then later i changed the clutch (because i was changing the flywheel but the clutch was still good) and the ******* that did the job apparantly didn't grease what he was supposed to so now my throwout bearing makes noise when i start the car up and when water gets in there.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
that noise can be either one of two things. 1 it's your throw out bear rubbing on the input shaft. It might need a little grease, or 2. the fingers on the clutch are going bad. What year is your car and how many miles do you have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a 99 and has a little over 37000 miles on it. i only bought the car a few month ago though and it had 33000 when i bought it. and yes the clutch does grab on the higher side.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Is the sound persisant when you hold in the clutch or does it go away

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
You really cant greese throw out bearings, I would just pull the tranny and replace the throw out along with all the little parts and a new clutch and flywheel if your car has some miles on the clutch. get it all done now while you have it apart. Its a pretty darn easy thing to do if you dont remove the flywheel.

·
Registered
113 Posts
did you try adj. the pedal...you know, lifting it up and putting 10lbs of pressure and then pushing it all the way down. try that first.

...maybe the previous owner did one too many burnouts??

if that doesn't work, try and adj. cable. it worked great for me. and it's tons easier than replacing the tob.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts