Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,
I recently went from stock 17" tires and wheels up to 18" staggered deep dish tires and wheels and feel like my throttle response is a bit sluggish at the start. Eventually it will get up to speed and is good from there on. Could going up a tire size along with a wider width hinder performance? Any advice would be great.
Best regards,
Mustang Indy
Pic's below.

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
More unsprung weight can definitely cause a performance drop. Get gears and your issues will go away. Also suspension, suspension, suspension, you have a huge wheel gap and the stock suspension is meh. Even though its a 05-10 V6, you still have the S197 chassis which can be made to handle very good. Then again, if you want handling you should have gone 18x9 on all 4.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More unsprung weight can definitely cause a performance drop. Get gears and your issues will go away. Also suspension, suspension, suspension, you have a huge wheel gap and the stock suspension is meh. Even though its a 05-10 V6, you still have the S197 chassis which can be made to handle very good. Then again, if you want handling you should have gone 18x9 on all 4.
Hi scottydsntknow,
Thanks for the quick response. True about the wheel gap in the rear. I didn't give it much thought when purchasing the tire/wheel kit. It seems that most of american muscles 18" staggered tire and wheel package have these sizes 18x9 front and 18x10 rear. Also the customer reviews don't really mention any issues either. I guess it's live and learn for me. Thanks again for the info.

Best regards,
Mustang Indy

·
Lorraine's driver
8,188 Posts
Setup does look really good though. I'd probably upgrade the suspension first, if I had to choose. Chances are your struts have seen better days and upgrading that alone will improve handling and ride.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Setup does look really good though. I'd probably upgrade the suspension first, if I had to choose. Chances are your struts have seen better days and upgrading that alone will improve handling and ride.
Hey ab_mach1,
Thanks for the info. My suspension is only a couple of years old but is close to stock type. Maybe I'll consider a suspension up grade like you mentioned. Thanks again for the info.
Best regards,
Mustang Indy

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
Hi scottydsntknow,
Thanks for the quick response. True about the wheel gap in the rear. I didn't give it much thought when purchasing the tire/wheel kit. It seems that most of american muscles 18" staggered tire and wheel package have these sizes 18x9 front and 18x10 rear. Also the customer reviews don't really mention any issues either. I guess it's live and learn for me. Thanks again for the info.

Best regards,
Mustang Indy
AM doesn't always pick the best tire sizes at all and AM customer reviews are often cherry picked. They don't allow most negative reviews to show up. AM has turned into a complete dumpster fire of a company and I'd never order anything from them at this point.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AM doesn't always pick the best tire sizes at all and AM customer reviews are often cherry picked. They don't allow most negative reviews to show up. AM has turned into a complete dumpster fire of a company and I'd never order anything from them at this point.
It's true. It's been some time since I ordered anything from American Muscle and during the last couple of weeks I've received these tires and wheels along with a few smaller items and even noticed that most of their smaller items such as headlight bulbs etc...showed up with no packing materials inside like bubble wrap etc...The items like my headlight bulb package were just sliding around with no protection. Who ships items that are fragile with no protection? The wheels and tires arrived with out damage but 3 of the 4 boxes were flimsy and the weight of the tires/wheels were starting to break through the cardboard in shipping. Then after mounting all four the balance was off severely that my steering wheel had a shimmy left to right almost a 1/4" from dead center.

Best regards,
Mustang Indy

·
Registered
900 Posts
I’d bet Scotty nailed it with the weight. You’re oem wheels and tires were narrower and unless you spend $, the wheels/tires pkg are going to add considerable weight. That’s natural...you’re adding more material both in wheel and tire so more weight. A little searching and you should be able to find out how much you added at each wheel.

Reactions: mustangindy
1 - 9 of 9 Posts