Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put some all wheel cleaner on my rims to try and clean them but it went wrong and left crazy stain marks on the rim and tire. Nothing seemed to get the stains off at all so I called around and got a quote at 400 to get them painted. I wanted to see if some tire wet would atleast get the tires looking somewhat normal again and it cleaned the tires really good and I noticed from overspray it took that stain off also! So I cleaned the whole wheels with it (probably a stupid idea but if I’m getting them painted wth) and it does a decent job but doesn’t last very long before the stain comes back. Does anyone have any suggestions how I might be able to get the stains off without having to have them painted? Would really appreciate a recommendation! I’ll attach a before and after photo keep in mind the after photo does not last very long before the stains peak through.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Can't really tell you because you didn't:
1) Tell us the product you used.
2) How long it was left on.
3) Did you contact the manufacturer and ask them for their advice?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Yes. Tell us what you used.......................

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't really tell you because you didn't:
1) Tell us the product you used.
2) How long it was left on.
3) Did you contact the manufacturer and ask them for their advice?
[/QUOTE
I used meguiars all wheel cleaner
It was on for about 5 minutes
I contacted them we are still in conversation there asking me questions and what not.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Let us know how it goes......

·
Registered
428 Posts
Still don’t know what to use to take it off nobody replied to that part lol
Most rims today are clear coated like the rest of the car. It appears that whatever you used damaged the coating and made it milky. I don't think anything but paint remover can fix it and it would need new clear coat afterwards. I would never use anything on my wheels that I would not use on my paint.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Still don’t know what to use to take it off nobody replied to that part lol
That’s because no body knows. We haven’t had that problem.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I got some aftermarket wheels for my wife's (our) Edge. They are hard to clean, so I'm on my second different spray on wheel cleaner. Both didn't do much of anything. I read and will be doing a bucket with Dawn dishwashing liquid and a long bristle medium stiffness brush, and call it a day :)

·
Super Moderator
17,968 Posts
The wheel cleaner did that. You need to get them blasted and repainted or powdercoated. If you try to get a warranty they will be able to tell instantly you used wheel cleaner and tell you to go pound sand.

Never ever ever ever ever use wheel cleaner. Regular Dawn soap with warm water.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Since you don't have anything to lose now, try using some warm Coke on the rims. The acidity might clear it off. Next try some white or apple vinegar. If that doesn't work, punt and paint the rims.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I’ve got a few of those Mr. Clean Magic Eraser pads around and am always surprised how they work when nothing else will. Worth a shot at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: crjackson2134
1 - 16 of 16 Posts