Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatsup guys...02 GT tremec-3650 here..so I f'ing hate 1st gear, It's so super short, and even if I take off relatively quick in first when I hit the clutch to shift at say 3k than I seem to lose soooooooo much momentum by the time I shift to 2nd and release the clutch..question is, is it safe to drive launching in 2nd lets say 90% of the time? Any harm to the tranny or anything, I could see how it may add to wear on the clutch due to more slipping but I almost feel that by skipping having to slip the clutch to take off in first than again a slight slip to get from 1st to 2nd is about equal the wear on the clutch I would imagine...what's your input on this guys? I know I've searched this a few times but everywhere I read about it on our stangs it seems to be a gray area and can't really find a definitive answer if its gonna screw anything major up or not..thanks guys

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
no real harm except like you said clutch wear. it'll be harder on the clutch taking off in second than in first for sure though, also it'll put a little more stress on the engine too, not too much but more.

sounds to me like you need a longer gear. what gears do you have now?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no real harm except like you said clutch wear. it'll be harder on the clutch taking off in second than in first for sure though, also it'll put a little more stress on the engine too, not too much but more.

sounds to me like you need a longer gear. what gears do you have now?
No idea I believe stock..50 mph puts me right about 2k rpm in 4th gear if I remember correctly..

·
Registered
2,907 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
NJstanger said:
Whatsup guys...02 GT tremec-3650 here..so I f'ing hate 1st gear, It's so super short, and even if I take off relatively quick in first when I hit the clutch to shift at say 3k than I seem to lose soooooooo much momentum by the time I shift to 2nd and release the clutch..question is, is it safe to drive launching in 2nd lets say 90% of the time? Any harm to the tranny or anything, I could see how it may add to wear on the clutch due to more slipping but I almost feel that by skipping having to slip the clutch to take off in first than again a slight slip to get from 1st to 2nd is about equal the wear on the clutch I would imagine...what's your input on this guys? I know I've searched this a few times but everywhere I read about it on our stangs it seems to be a gray area and can't really find a definitive answer if its gonna screw anything major up or not..thanks guys
Lol sometimes I come to a complete stop in 2nd and take off accedently lol

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just seems no matter how quick I shift that 1-2 shift I lose so much momentum before gunning it in 2nd

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Im pretty sure right about 2k I believe
Sounds like stock 3.27s, here's a link to my "How Fast can I Go in Each Gear?" calculator that will help in sorting it. Toward the upper right of the calculator page is an Axle Ratio Calculator, that is more accurate then I thought it would be if you feed it accurate input data.

The most precise way however is to jack up the back-end and count haw many revs the driveshaft turns for one turn of the wheel--while you are under there take a look at the tag on the tranny, it will have 3L27 stamped on it if it's the stock gears (and of course if they have not been swapped out).

I have the same issue in 1st gear with my 3.73s, exacerbated by the flat land here in NE Florida and the damned lime-rock McAdam that wears smooth as glass. 1st in worthless and I launch in 2nd most all the time. When the 3650 lets go I will be looking at the TKO-600 with the 2.87:1 1st gear (the stock 1st gear is 3.38:1) or a custom built 3650 with that same 1st gear ratio...

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I'm barely under 2k at 70moh I 5th 3.27s

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Ryan7racin said:
I'm at the same, also stock 3.27.
I love the stock gears for long road trips on the interstate, this weekend I went on a little trip to New Orleans and got 26mpg all the way there and back.
Yeah but I'm wanting 3.73 lol. Beat I've got was like 22 this colder weather I'm at 115 miles and half tank lol

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Ryan7racin said:
I want 3.73 too I do mostly city driving, but the Interstate gas mileage is so amazing. I'm shocked I get that much.
I don't think it will
Hurt that much

1 - 20 of 30 Posts