Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the last few days its been down to LOW 30's high 20's in the morning when I leave for work.

The first couple times I start it it chokes and dies. Than I start it 3-4 times it'll run fine but I have to give it a little gas to get it going than it runs perfect. It was warm today 45 and it started and ran awesome

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

I'm just worried about when it gets really cold this winter it might not start at all...

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
my 01 had an issue where when cold it would not idle, just die. The issue is the idle bypass valve (IAC) its usually near the throttle body, a cylinder shaped thing. This may not be your issue but it could be~ when its cold they can stick (carbon deposits etc)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SpectorV said:
my 01 had an issue where when cold it would not idle, just die. The issue is the idle bypass valve (IAC) its usually near the throttle body, a cylinder shaped thing. This may not be your issue but it could be~ when its cold they can stick (carbon deposits etc)
Ill check it out thanks for the fast response! I really don't want to have to fix my silvarado and drive it durring the winter... Damn Chevys

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
some say you can pop off the IAC and clean it good to fix it, not sure though

·
Registered
211 Posts
you could also check the coolent temp sensor my last car had 2 coolent sensors 1 for the gauge and one that sent a signal to the ecu if your coolent sensor is going bad it will send an incorrect signal to the ecu witch inturn will give you hard start-up issues on cold days

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tc x 4 said:
Make sure battery cables are cleaned and greased.
Battery cables are clean battery is new I clean the engine more than I clean the rest of the car lol. Ill be messing around with if. It's hard to troubleshoot issues that only happen on freezing days when it's nice out...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
you could also check the coolent temp sensor my last car had 2 coolent sensors 1 for the gauge and one that sent a signal to the ecu if your coolent sensor is going bad it will send an incorrect signal to the ecu witch inturn will give you hard start-up issues on cold days
Did it make your check engine light come on?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 96 GT. Only when cold or raining. If I add a bottle of heet to the tank and keep turn the key off and on a few times. Then try to start on the 4th or 5th time it will keep running. Temps above 50 no problems with starting. Engine light is on and the auto parts store said it was the code for fuel tank pressure. Is it possible for starting issue to be the IAC also.

Rick

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 96 GT. Only when cold or raining. If I add a bottle of heet to the tank and keep turn the key off and on a few times. Then try to start on the 4th or 5th time it will keep running. Temps above 50 no problems with starting. Engine light is on and the auto parts store said it was the code for fuel tank pressure. Is it possible for starting issue to be the IAC also.

Rick
Hard to start in rain could be plug wires or coil. They can actually pull moisture in. Then being wet would make it hard to start. Then when it does start it dries itself. Something to check/read about.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
kc9krb said:

Rick
Your prob sounds like a weak fuel pump or clogged fuel filter.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tc x 4 said:
Your prob sounds like a weak fuel pump or clogged fuel filter.
It has a new fuel filter. Can the pump really go out a 55k miles? I guess anything is possible. It ONLY does it when it's below 35 tho

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Jgill1992 said:
It has a new fuel filter. Can the pump really go out a 55k miles? I guess anything is possible. It ONLY does it when it's below 35 tho
Sorry, I was referring to KC 9 , but it can go out with 1 mile on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts