Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever have issues with their GT starting. My 99 GT doesn't start when its too hot or if I've drivin for more than 30 min. Its just cranks over and over and won't start. The goofy thing is if you let it sit AFTER trying to start it for 30 min, it'll fire right up. Advice? PATS system?

·
Registered
438 Posts
bostang99 said:
Anyone ever have issues with their GT starting. My 99 GT doesn't start when its too hot or if I've drivin for more than 30 min. Its just cranks over and over and won't start. The goofy thing is if you let it sit AFTER trying to start it for 30 min, it'll fire right up. Advice? PATS system?
It sounds like a crank case sensor to me

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mine is the opposite if it's below freezing it don't want to start but if it's warmer it starts the first try

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Mine is a 2000 v6

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Id imagine if it were a crank sensor id get a check engine light and i dont get anything. I was also thinking maybe its my coolant temp sensor reading the car is too hot to start. And the ignition switch tested ok.

·
Premium Member
6,003 Posts
Ilovemustangs88 said:
Mine is the opposite if it's below freezing it don't want to start but if it's warmer it starts the first try

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Mine is a 2000 v6
Have your battery tested. It's probably bad

·
Registered
634 Posts
JDF said:
Have your battery tested. It's probably bad
Battery shouldn't have an affect with temperature change like that. Check your starter plus crank case sensor. If the sensor is bad it won't always throw a code.

·
Premium Member
6,003 Posts
nickysixx said:
Battery shouldn't have an affect with temperature change like that. Check your starter plus crank case sensor. If the sensor is bad it won't always throw a code.
I guess I should ask the question if it cranks or not

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess that's true...battery tests ok. The car sits with the battery disconnected. Sometimes when it just cranks for 5-6 sec its almost like a switch turns on and it'll start. Its the strangest thing. The crank sensor makes the most sense but i don't wanna tear ass into my motor if it isn't.

·
Banned
1,656 Posts
dreamstang said:
Your starter windings may be worn .when they get warm they don't work as good.also check your grounds.
I would go with this suggestion!..people sometimes run into this problem after installing headers when they sit close to a starter the starter lags enough to make it hard to start!...simply letting it cool of usually fixes it temporarily..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do have headers...header wrap solve the issue. But i have driving it to work it sits for 8 hours and it won't start right up. I have to try it, let it sit, and retry after 30 min and it'll fire up.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah my car had a new starter on it and one night the water pump went out and it got hot. Use to crank fast amd start right up. But when it got hot it wouldn't start just crank real slow. So I let it set for a while. Then drive it home just mins away. But now I put the new water pump on it amd it still crank real slow but starts up. So I think the windings in the starter r bad now. I also have headers. With no heat wrap on the starter. Does it crank regualar or does it crank slow. If it cranks slow replace the starter

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cranks normally just doesn't turn over. Im gonna try starter wrap or header wrap but i have a laundry list of things to try.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts