Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 3.8l Mustang. If I turn the key immediately to "start," it takes 8-9 turnovers to start. If I turn the key to "on" for a few seconds, then "start," it starts after 2-3 turns. What's the problem? Will it get worse or eventually not start at all if I do nothing? Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Check you're spark plugs as well, if it's actually trying to turn over its either not getting the proper fuel or not getting the proper spark.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm no expert, but it does start right up if I leave the key in "on" position for a few seconds - doesn't this mean that the fuel pump is functioning? How about the fuel pump relay (if there is one)? Plugs are relatively new. Will the problem get worse?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Could also be maybe the coil pack or a bad battery cause it is starting to get colder. Go to your nearest jiffy lube and ask the to test you battery they can tell you what temp its gonna stop working or when it dies.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Could it be a starter issue? I had to get mine replaced like a month ago, was stranded on campus on a Friday afternoon. LAME.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I've been told it is the fuel sending unit, on top of the fuel pump, that's all I know about it. I turn my key 4 times for a few seconds each time and it starts right up. It happens to both v8s and v6s. I've been doing this for 6 months and it hasn't gotten worse.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
rockron12 said:
Thanks a helluva lot. Your answer is the first useful one I've gotten.
Wait so all these people trying to help isn't useful?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts