Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a steeda intake for 275 brand new just had a smashed box. I thought it was a good deal so I jumped on it. Anyone running the the steeda intake? How do you like it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,551 Posts
I have the roush now, and even though they replaced my damage air filter for free when they didn't have too, still looking at switching to the steeda. Looks really nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GrabberBlue5.0 said:
Btw where did you buy one for 275 with crushed box? Sign me up!!!
eBay lol I didn't even want to get one until after winter but I couldn't resist that deal!

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

I heard steeda was the way to go. I wanted to go jlt but the steeda has more advantages.
 

·
The Blue Dragon
Joined
·
5,661 Posts
Mustang32Bill said:
eBay lol I didn't even want to get one until after winter but I couldn't resist that deal!

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

I heard steeda was the way to go. I wanted to go jlt but the steeda has more advantages.
Steeda makes a great CAI, JLT has issues
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
I swapped out my Roush (came with car new) with a Steeda last weekend. Night and day. Also running a Steeda tune.

My CAI was missing two screws (not missing, two in there that were 8-32 instead of 10-32) so that cost me 44 mile round trip to Lowe's at 8pm. Otherwise, uneventful install.

I was confused though ... originally, Steeda supplied me with 91 and 93 octane tunes, and sent me a new tune when I bought the CAI through them for the 101mm MAF housing CAI ... and now they say the 91 and 93 are the same tune and uses factory fuel strategy to add timing for 93.
 

·
The Blue Dragon
Joined
·
5,661 Posts
mmike87 said:
I swapped out my Roush (came with car new) with a Steeda last weekend. Night and day. Also running a Steeda tune.

My CAI was missing two screws (not missing, two in there that were 8-32 instead of 10-32) so that cost me 44 mile round trip to Lowe's at 8pm. Otherwise, uneventful install.

I was confused though ... originally, Steeda supplied me with 91 and 93 octane tunes, and sent me a new tune when I bought the CAI through them for the 101mm MAF housing CAI ... and now they say the 91 and 93 are the same tune and uses factory fuel strategy to add timing for 93.
I'm not really sure what to make of the larger MAF housing. I asked Steeda if they flowed any better vs the older one and I was told that it was really more of an inventory change than anything else and there was not additional flow. But then why did they send you more tunes? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,045 Posts
GrabberBlue5.0 said:
I'm not really sure what to make of the larger MAF housing. I asked Steeda if they flowed any better vs the older one and I was told that it was really more of an inventory change than anything else and there was not additional flow. But then why did they send you more tunes? :confused:
Any time you change the diameter of the maf housing you need an updated tune. It's a calculation thing, not an airflow thing.

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

nosympathy said:
I have the roush now, and even though they replaced my damage air filter for free when they didn't have too, still looking at switching to the steeda. Looks really nice.
Let me know if you decide to sell the roush. If I don't buy it I can help get it sold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,551 Posts
Napoleon85 said:
Any time you change the diameter of the maf housing you need an updated tune. It's a calculation thing, not an airflow thing.

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------



Let me know if you decide to sell the roush. If I don't buy it I can help get it sold.
I definitely will. Just wouldn't be until I get the steeda of course. Hopefully that will be soon. Hopefully getting offered a new job tomorrow and then life should be good!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,551 Posts
So how do these things supposedly make more power if they don't flow more air? I am confused.
are you confusing them talking about the change in the MAF design with a better than stock CAI?

What they are talking about is the tubing that the mass air flow sensor sits in. It will be slightly bigger than the older version, but the two will push the same amount of air through.

The only reason I can see as to why you need to know what yours is, is for having the car tuned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
I get the cross section / velocity / calibration aspect and the tune requirement (I have one) just wondering why the CAI's supposedly make more power if they don't really flow "more" air.

I was asking in general ... not specifically in relation to the 101mm vs 95mm housings on the new and older Steeda intakes, respectively.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,551 Posts
Sure ... but the stock intake was sealed and only drew cold air from outside, too.
at the same time though, the stock airbox had a small area to pull air through, the surface area of the filters on the aftermarket CAIs is much larger, allowing them to still pull more air through, with much less restriction than the factory sealed box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
nosympathy said:
I have the roush now, and even though they replaced my damage air filter for free when they didn't have too, still looking at switching to the steeda. Looks really nice.
How u like the Roush do u have a tune
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
I'm not really sure what to make of the larger MAF housing. I asked Steeda if they flowed any better vs the older one and I was told that it was really more of an inventory change than anything else and there was not additional flow. But then why did they send you more tunes? :confused:
What really confused me with their tunes was a couple months ago, I received 91 and 93 octane tunes. A week ago, with the intake - they tell me they are the same tune, the 91 and 93. The tune seems to work fine ... no complaints ... I just do not understand why the 91 and 93 were different before (or so I was led to believe), and now they are not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,045 Posts
I get the cross section / velocity / calibration aspect and the tune requirement (I have one) just wondering why the CAI's supposedly make more power if they don't really flow "more" air.

I was asking in general ... not specifically in relation to the 101mm vs 95mm housings on the new and older Steeda intakes, respectively.
They really don't make any more power. Any gains are in the single digits and well within the margin of error of multiple dyno runs. However, since the size of the MAF housing changed, a tune is required and that is where the gains are. This makes it look like you gain 30-40 HP from the CAI, when in reality you are gaining 5-8 from the tune and 25-30 from the tune.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top