Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2020 mustang GT Premium 5.0 w/pp1, 10sp auto, 2000 miles on it. Today it would not start. Powertrain symbol and message "steering wheel lock fault" was displayed on the dash. Only started after disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. It is at the dealer now. I was wondering if any other mustang owners have had similar problems with their mustangs not starting. Car is the same as I pick it up from the dealer in Sept. Will update when I get word from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
6,813 Posts
If it’s anything like the euro cars at our shop, unplugging the battery is a bad idea. Car needs a keep alive system on it if you unplug the battery.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
404 Posts
@Recon
What systems need a keep alive circuit? What’s the worst case scenario?
I’m imagining either a no-start condition or a hard-start condition w/relearn procedures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have a 2020 mustang GT Premium 5.0 w/pp1, 10sp auto, 2000 miles on it. Today it would not start. Powertrain symbol and message "steering wheel lock fault" was displayed on the dash. Only started after disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. It is at the dealer now. I was wondering if any other mustang owners have had similar problems with their mustangs not starting. Car is the same as I pick it up from the dealer in Sept. Will update when I get word from the dealer.
Update: did internet search and found "SSM 48651 - 2020 Mustang - No start w/Steering Lock Malfunction Message and (BCM) DTC B1026". It recommends to disconnect the negative battery cable wait 10 seconds, reconnect, cycle the ignition key 3 times and retest for no start. it did restart, no message. Dealer came up with, that the battery was bad and they replaced it. They said nothing about SSM 48651. I guess I will have to keep a socket set in the car just incase it happens again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts