Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
So I'm thinking about getting a custom exhaust put on my 96 GT. Currently I have Flowmaster delta 40 cat back (2 1/4in) on which are quieter that I like. I have a few questions though. I live in California so we have smog tests :( so I'm keeping my stock cats in place and having them weld on a custom 3in xpipe.
My first question is, will this make any difference in sound or performance? Or should I just leave the stock hpipe in place.
I also want to replace the mufflers with 3in Cherrybomb Glasspacks.
Overall if I put the custom xpipe(with the stock cats still there), all new 3in piping and the 3in Cherrybomb Glasspacks, would it be louder than my current set up or am I just wasting my money. Sorry for being such a noob, and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hey guys,
So I'm thinking about getting a custom exhaust put on my 96 GT. Currently I have Flowmaster delta 40 cat back (2 1/4in) on which are quieter that I like. I have a few questions though. I live in California so we have smog tests :( so I'm keeping my stock cats in place and having them weld on a custom 3in xpipe.
My first question is, will this make any difference in sound or performance? Or should I just leave the stock hpipe in place.
I also want to replace the mufflers with 3in Cherrybomb Glasspacks.
Overall if I put the custom xpipe(with the stock cats still there), all new 3in piping and the 3in Cherrybomb Glasspacks, would it be louder than my current set up or am I just wasting my money. Sorry for being such a noob, and thanks in advance!
3" is too big man. Just buy an o/r H or an o/r X and swap it back with your original H pipe when you have your smog test. As for the mufflers, I've never been a fan of Flowmasters, check out the Pypes M-80 bullitts from AM. Cheap and sound pretty darn good. Your exhaust would be much louder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok well what if I went with 2 1/2in. Its going to be welded on, so i don't want an o/r xpipe that I have to take to a shop to get taken off when i need to get it smogged.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Ok well what if I went with 2 1/2in. Its going to be welded on, so i don't want an o/r xpipe that I have to take to a shop to get taken off when i need to get it smogged.
An x pipe is super easy to install and they don't weld on. I can get mine off in less than 20 minutes. I would recommend just swapping every time you have to do smog because a custom x pipe would be too much money spent for nothing.. How about getting a different catback? Or look into a catted mid pipe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts