Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a "dumb" question and might have been brought up before but would our stock intakes on a 2013 V6 be considered a cold air intake? since it directly draws air in from the grill which would be cold air and no engine heat? because I want a cold air intake for sound and looks but just weighing out the pros and cons. there are always those cold air intake debates and how good they are or if they even do anything but I am just considering getting one because I had one on my 5.0 which got totaled about a month ago and now need to start from stock with my 2013 V6,thanks!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Just for sound and looks really. Even the Steeda.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The only thing you'll get out of an aftermarket CAI is the sound. There's no benefit to replacing the stock airbox until you start prosuperquadturboing your car.

To answer, yes, they're the same thing. Looks & Sound is the only difference at the current level your car is at.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if it really does nothing it would be fine to get a Spectre cold air intake for $125 rather than a better brand such as Steeda or K&N for 300+?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Steeda requires a tune because it changes the MAF diameter.

Airaid/Roush are the same manufacturer and pretty much the standard.

The k&n kit, I've heard awful things about the quality.

I would spend a bit more money and get the airaid/Roush.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But lets say the Spectre and Roush do not change the diameter then the only thing different would be the tube material and a 250$ difference wouldint it be? and the Spectre would be cheaper materials and less of a brand. I believe you get what you pay for but if a cold air intake does nothing to a stock Mustang then why buy top quality?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, well thanks for your input. I just dont want to buy an expensive intake if another one for half the price will be doing the same thing.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
But lets say the Spectre and Roush do not change the diameter then the only thing different would be the tube material and a 250$ difference wouldint it be? and the Spectre would be cheaper materials and less of a brand. I believe you get what you pay for but if a cold air intake does nothing to a stock Mustang then why buy top quality?

The Roush/Airaid utilize more of the OEM intake duct from the grille providing more cool air.

Neither of which are drawing more cool air than the OEM setup. The OEM kind of nailed it this time believe it or not.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow okay, makes sense. I might just buy a cheap cold air intake for sound and hope it keeps the performance the same or better rather than worse since the OEM intake is good but quite.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Wow okay, makes sense. I might just buy a cheap cold air intake for sound and hope it keeps the performance the same or better rather than worse since the OEM intake is good but quite.

You could take a look at fabricating something with the sound induction tune from the 5.0s like I did if you want the sound.

If you're interested, I'm selling my intake that I set up with the sound tube. I took it off once I put on the Borla axleback. It's giving me all the sound I want.

ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1417488151.050560.jpg

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought it was the filter that made the sound by being open? I thought the stock box was quite because it is a square filter enclosed in the box that makes it quite? is it the tube that makes the sound? thank you!!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I thought it was the filter that made the sound by being open? I thought the stock box was quite because it is a square filter enclosed in the box that makes it quite? is it the tube that makes the sound? thank you!!

There are sound baffles on the intake tube that deaden the sound.

The sound tube takes the sound directly from the intake to the firewall.

·
Registered
311 Posts

The open filter gives it a little whooshing sound and is washable. The mit tube removes the sound baffles in the stock intake making the engine sounds more prominent to the driver.

The sound dune listed above is something the 5.0's have that pump the sound directly into the cabin.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It's actually a bit of both. I had the airaid intake tube that removed the baffles but the sound improvement was very minimal. I returned it for the full airaid intake which sounded dramatically better. Very happy with my purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
I believe that for the most part CAIs are just noise makers. However, they do sound very nice. This is my first car without one and I'm sure I will get one eventually, if only for the sound. Why do we do axle backs? Sound and only sound, so why shouldn't we do the say for the intake? Plus it makes the engine compartment look really clean.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I believe that for the most part CAIs are just noise makers. However, they do sound very nice. This is my first car without one and I'm sure I will get one eventually, if only for the sound. Why do we do axle backs? Sound and only sound, so why shouldn't we do the say for the intake? Plus it makes the engine compartment look really clean.
That and you just have to clean the filter every once in a while rather than needing a new one. Not like there aren't drop in filters for the stock intake, just a small perk.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well now my debate would be to either get that Airaid tube for $105 or a cheap no brand cold air intake for $115 just for the sound....

1 - 20 of 80 Posts