Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
I believe that for the most part CAIs are just noise makers. However, they do sound very nice. This is my first car without one and I'm sure I will get one eventually, if only for the sound. Why do we do axle backs? Sound and only sound, so why shouldn't we do the say for the intake? Plus it makes the engine compartment look really clean.

I agree with you. I hate how people bash on CAI because most of them are "just a for sound" don't don't do much for performance. In my opinion, sound is super important, especially for cars with performance driving in mind. There is a reason that exotic cars use high revving v8/10/12 motors. Sound is so important that many car manufacturers today are using fake/engineered sound that is piped/played through the cabin just for the aural stimulation that it brings. To me, sound is just as important as adding horsepower.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well now my debate would be to either get that Airaid tube for $105 or a cheap no brand cold air intake for $115 just for the sound....

Save your money on the airaid tube. Way overpriced and I couldn't tell a difference in the sound when I installed it. Glad I got rid of it for the full intake.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
CAIS are some of the most common used items you'll see on ebay. Check there first.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

·
Registered
229 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I mean its no brand but I feel that it is comparable to any other intake that does not have a wider tube diameter..... the tube isint plastic or ABS but besides that I see no difference and I would think it will give me the sound I want, my old $125 spectre did

·
Registered
229 Posts
I mean its no brand but I feel that it is comparable to any other intake that does not have a wider tube diameter..... the tube isint plastic or ABS but besides that I see no difference and I would think it will give me the sound I want, my old $125 spectre did

I would give it a try. Is there a return policy?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Stay away from that one. It doesn't have the snorkel that draws air from under the grille. That would just be pulling ambient hot air from the engine bay.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Stay away from that one. It doesn't have the snorkel that draws air from under the grille. That would just be pulling ambient hot air from the engine bay.

Good catch. I didn't even notice that!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it by the way.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I would be cautious about putting a cheap intake on as it may hurt performance and pull hot air from the engine bay. Some have even reported top brand I takes raising intake temps. Although they look the same the stock intake and most top brand aftermarket intakes have gone through extensive r&d to ensure maximum flow. I would think putting a random pipe would hurt performance.

And the reason why people bash on people with intakes is when people say "I gained 15 hp from putting it on and felt a huge difference". Because clearly it doesn't make that big of a difference. I understand people who buy it for sound/ looks. It's no different with exhaust. I bought my magnaflow axle backs for sound, now if I started talking about 15-20 hp gains people would likely call me an idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Airaid, Steeda, Roush, or K&N. Those are your real options here that still retain the snorkel.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
If im trying to spend less than $200 though I guess I should just get the Airaid? I really dont know. Airaid does not hurt performance but only makes a small amount of sound change while the $100 intake would make huge sound change but can possibly hurt performance, now I see why you guys buy $400 intakes lol

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
A lesson you can learn the easy way or the hard way in modifying your car: Save for quality parts. You cheap out, you have issues later and end up spending even more money to fix it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I agree, I just dont want to buy an expensive part that regardless wont do much. I hate putting bad brands or no brands on my car so I dont but I am kind of making an exception for just the cold air intake.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
A lesson you can learn the easy way or the hard way in modifying your car: Save for quality parts. You cheap out, you have issues later and end up spending even more money to fix it.

This. So much this.

There's an old saying in car modding:

1) Cheap
2) Fast
3) Reliable

You can only pick 2.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Or my personal favorite, having done it more times than i can count:

"The cheap man pays twice." You then end up spending more in the end lol.
Spectre is an autozone brand, and a lot of their stuff is cheap plastic. The only benefit to plastic is it doesnt heat soak the same as aluminum, but i'm just not a fan of their quality. Also, does their intake include an airbox? That may be the price difference right there, and its honestly worth spending the money on a quality unit.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts