Mustang Evolution Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Or my personal favorite, having done it more times than i can count:

"The cheap man pays twice." You then end up spending more in the end lol.

I was always taught this lesson as, "Buy once, cry once." Has held true for any of my other hobbies (saltwater reefkeeping, firearms, homebrew, golf).

G

·
I used to have an 08 mustang and I tried a Spectre CAI. Unfortunately, since most of their's at the time had chrome tubes, i could feel my car performing slightly worse. As the Texas heat did not play well with it. So after learning my lesson, I will only go with expensive quality parts.

Now I use a SynthaMax Airaid CAI. It has the kind of tubing you want as well as a heat shield. It also utilizes the snorkel from the grille. So in my opinion, it was well worth the $300.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I already bought a sound tube from a 5.0 owner and I plan on installing it where VIG has installed his but I was thinking if I get an airaid intake tube that should get me even more intake noise. Am I on track here or is there a point of diminishing return here? If I go this route I'm curious to see how it's going to compare to an off the shelf cold air intake

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Instead of adding "fake" noise I just bought a cheap intake that will give me the noise I want. It might not give me much performance but most intakes do so that is that I went with since people are saying the airaid tube only mad a slight difference and for the same price I bought a new cold air intake that does both.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Instead of adding "fake" noise I just bought a cheap intake that will give me the noise I want. It might not give me much performance but most intakes do so that is that I went with since people are saying the airaid tube only mad a slight difference and for the same price I bought a new cold air intake that does both.

Only problem with the cheap intakes that are 50-100 dollars on eBay is you'll likely loose performance. If it's just an open filter Thats sucking in hot engine air and doesn't have the R&D that other intakes have into them

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
True but I would say more of neutral performance rather than negative because it's really not going to hurt your performance even buying a cheap intake. It's just not going to gain very much if any.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
The one I bought has a heat shield and at cruising speeds the air will be rushed into the grill into the intake.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
The one I bought has a heat shield and at cruising speeds the air will be rushed into the grill into the intake.

If it doesn't have the proper snorkel like the stock intake, it's pulling hot ambient air from the engine bay.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I believe with the heat shield it is not though. Maybe at a stand still but not while driving.

·
Registered
245 Posts
This from Ebaymart looks very similar to the so NAME BRANDS at a lower coin, I order one just for looks and a bit of sound. I like the clamps style , the shield black rubber molding, the reusable red filter and they sold it for 95$ shipped . $_57 (15).JPG :cool: Cold out side air will flow via the factory vent/snorkel behind the grill :cool:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
This from Ebaymart looks very similar to the so NAME BRANDS at a lower coin, I order one just for looks and a bit of sound. I like the clamps style , the shield black rubber molding, the reusable red filter and they sold it for 95$ shipped . View attachment 171205 :cool: Cold out side air will flow via the factory vent/snorkel behind the grill :cool:

I see where your MAF gets installed, but I do not see the one or two nipples to plug your vacuum hoses in (1 for stick, 2 for auto). Do they show in any other pictures?

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible

·
Registered
245 Posts
I see where your MAF gets installed, but I do not see the one or two nipples to plug your vacuum hoses in (1 for stick, 2 for auto). Do they show in any other pictures?

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
It has both, look at the details on Ebay, this one is mention on the thread :thumb:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
It has both, look at the details on Ebay, this one is mention on the thread :thumb:

Yeah but if you look at the airaid, roush, steeda, etc they all have a lower piece to utilize the factory cold air track in the fender that connects directly to that lower piece. There is a reason it's 95 dollars. Again to each his own but when spending 20-40 k on a car why cheap out over 150 dollars for a cheap knock odd brand that clearly isn't build as well or had the R&D put into it.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Yeah but if you look at the airaid, roush, steeda, etc they all have a lower piece to utilize the factory cold air track in the fender that connects directly to that lower piece. There is a reason it's 95 dollars. Again to each his own but when spending 20-40 k on a car why cheap out over 150 dollars for a cheap knock odd brand that clearly isn't build as well or had the R&D put into it.

Agreed. If you don't have the money for a quality part, just be patient and wait.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
245 Posts

FWIW, R&D done and a copy can be duplicated , my brand new 2014 V6 was only 16,750 plus tax/tags, by today's standard a very economical daily driver.:cool:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
FWIW, R&D done and a copy can be duplicated , my brand new 2014 V6 was only 16,750 plus tax/tags, by today's standard a very economical daily driver.:cool:

Yeah but clearly by looking at the unit It deletes the factory cold air system. If It copied it effectively I would say go for it. But clearly it is a horrible copy that adds a little noise and probable has some negative impact on performance. I bet if you added a iat gauge and tested the eBay knock off and the stock intake the stock unit would give a noticeable difference in temperatures. I'm all for saving money but in certain areas Its worth paying a little more.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I truly don't think it would be a noticeable loss of performance.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts